Galion TS120

So this seems to be a bit weird. Thomas Tan from Thomas & Stereo is touting this as his improved version of the Doge 10. He’s having all of his YouTube buddies review the amp.

I’ve checked a number of the forums and I can’t find a single post about this amp. There is a very strange "post" where you would look for the Doge 10 by the co-creator of that amp who seems very upset about the Galion TS120 and the fact that they took the Doge 10 off the market even though the Galion TS120 is almost the same thing.

Ron, from New Record Day, has a video where he compared the Fusion Black Ice F35, the Rogue Cronus Magnum III, the Galion TS120 and the LTA Z40+i with sound samples and a reference. I listened and thought that the LTA was the best with the Galion second although it was a closer second than it should have been given the price differential.

So, anyhow, my questions are whether anyone has bought this or knows about it and/or has some thoughts about it.

dz13

Thanks @turbotan  Thomas for clearing the air. If it is appropriate, we would love to hear the full story, something about shedding a tear for them. I'm just curious by nature. Medical related as hinted? 

If something like this happens again in the future, maybe a video on your youtube channel + the Gallion channel with a pin message would grab the attention of more people. 

@dz13

@jjss49 Is this an amp you’ve actually heard? Why is this, in your opinion, the answer to everything?

yes in fact i have heard the arc i-50 at length, it is a spectacular amp, thus i highly recommend it, not to mention it is made in minnesota and the servicing for it, if ever needed, is done there by a company who has led the tube amp industry for 50 years, with generations of happy and loyal customers

it is also not the 'answer to everything' but imo a very good answer here...

you do seem to be quite an expert at maximizing brain damage, so i will let you have at it

i would only remind you that ’entry level’ is in the eye of the beholder

here you go... even cheaper... even more brain damage

how about this one?

@jjss49 I'm not trying to inflict brain damage but I do agonize over decisions like this. You are correct "entry level" is relative to the manufacturer but "entry level" do tend to be more basic in functions. I actually took that term vis a vis this amp from a YouTube reviewer. It wasn't meant to be derogatory per se.

I'm not interested the one you linked. My set up is a medium/small room that is open and I have Nola Boxer S3s on top of an audio cabinet. Amusingly, the Nola Boxers are basically entry level as well and also still expensive though I stumbled upon them for less than 1/2 price almost new. 

I'm looking at the LTA Ultralinear + integrated which has a deal now that they are throwing in a phono stage for MM + MC for free. I already have an LTA Z40+ (again bought used and about 2/3 the price for essentially a new unit) integrated for my primary system which I like. I'd love to see a Don Sachs' Valhalla integrated amp come up but that's rare.  The owner of Nola let me know that customers report that they are having good success with the Boxers and the Cayin CS-88a but I'm thinking that the Galion and the LTA might be better. 

The LTA sound is more hybrid than lush tube. I don't have a lot of experience with tube amps but I had a Rogers 65V-2 which was lush and which I loved but then got fatigued with that sound and kept moving towards the hybrid sound. 

Thomas has said that the Galion is more like a hybrid sound. I'm speculating that the ARC is more lush tubey sound but I'm not sure. I might jump on it if I knew more about the DAC module and if the phono stage was fit for low output MC but it's not. The ARC (with both options) is the same price as the LTA. The Galion and the Cayin are both about 1/2 that price. I'm not crazy about anything DIY so the LTA appeals to me because I already know I like the sound (although the Ultralinear is a bit different than the Z40i+). I'm not finding used bargains anywhere so I'm looking at new stuff and the LTA sale won't go on much longer. 

So yes, there is massive brain damage but mostly self-directed and inflicted. My MO is to do as much research as possible and then make an impulsive decision. LTA does give a 14 day trial period and I'm not sure whether any of the others allow for the trial period. 

I'm not here to disparage Thomas or his product or any other product. Thomas and I have had nice private communications. I'm just looking for a bit of help. 

The main reasons I started this thread are that I liked what I heard on New Record Day's tests but I can't really trust YouTube sound checks and I was a bit frustrated from the lack of feedback on this amp outside the inner circle. Nothing nefarious. 

More to discover