Fuse blown on RB-1080 with new pair of DynAudio's

Hi all,

I purchase used RC-1090 and RB-1080 here last week. I've been using them with a pair of old speakers that I have. They work fine so far.
This weekend, I bought a brand new pair of DynAudio Audience 82 + Audioquest Dimondback XLR balanced interconnection + cheap 18 gauge speaker wire from RadioShack (temporary until I get better speaker cables). I hooked them up and listened for about 3 hours. Then I read somewhere that the speaker wires should be the same length, so I shut them down and trim 1 of the longer speaker wire to have the same length as the other. When I hook them up again, I got no sound to both of the speakers. I also noticed that when I hook the wire to 1 of the speakers, I heard some popping sound from the speaker. I went through all the steps that I know of to try troubleshooting the problem. Finally I pinpointed it down to the amp (RB-1080). The internal fuses were blown. Through out dozen of time trying connect/disconnect the speaker wires, I don't think I ever let the +/- part of the wires touched.
I bought some replacement fuses. But the fuses just kept blowing. At one time I was able to listen continuously for a few hours. But as soon as I turn the amp off or turning it on, the fuses blown again. I already made 2 trips to RadioShack and blow 16 of them fuses. Finally, my amp blows the fuse on the back of the amp. So as this point, I'm not sure what I should do.
So here are my questions:

1. Is there something bad with my new DynAudio speakers? How can I tell whether they are still in "perfect" condition (as they are brand new)? Have I done any damage to them? Is there a way of testing and now for sure?
2. Is there a minimum length of speaker wire required? Are the cheap 18 gauge speaker wires the culprit?
3. What should I do next?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.
truongphunhuan

Showing 1 response by xti16

Maybe see if you can find a higher quality fuse than the rat shack type. There have been a couple of threads regarding the quality of those fuses. Stick with the same amperage and voltage rating though until you can determine if its just an amp problem or not. Putting in a higher amp rated fuse may possibly cause more damage than you already have.