Furutech GTX-D Rhodium NCF Outlet

Hi

I have been using a strip with Cary tube preamp and digital sources on a Furutech GTX-D Gold outlet and Pass power amp to a Maestro on the wall for a while now.

The combination seems decent but lately with some bass heavy recordings I have found the bass thick and boomy on extreme low bass notes. The mids and highs are fine and I tend to be sensitive to bright treble.

I took the preamp out and put it to the Maestro on the wall and this ameliorated the bass somewhat. Everything became fuller sounding but as a result, there was less low bass reverb (sounds contradictory?)

I suspect it is the GTX-D Gold. I am guessing if I replaced that with a GTX-D Rhodium NCF, it will tighten up the bass and hopefully eliminate the excessive low bass reverb. But in doing so, will the highs become too forward, hard or bright as Rhodium tends to be vs Gold?

Any experienced feedback from users who have tried the Maestro, GTX-D Gold and GTX-D Rhodium NCF is much appreciated.

Thanks
mikey8811

Showing 4 responses by mikey8811

Thanks guys.

Will put the Blue on my shortlist - the 30 day return probably doesn't work for me as I am not in the US.

Has anyone tried and compared the Cardas 4181 outlet? Very little is spoken about it at all.

I am wondering because most of my power cords are Cardas Clear Beyond.

OK so I got the GTX D Rhodium NCF’s.

I have about 5 hours on them now. I have the Cary tube preamp and digital sources on a strip to the outlet. I have the Pass Labs power amp on the Maestro.

There is greater clarity, air and instrumental separation. Image outlines are also more distinct, but with less bloom and fullness - I guess this would constitute a minor negative. The bass has tightened up and there is more micro detail all round.

More on the downside, the treble has become "silvery" with a bit of hardness and brightness. There is more extension but the sound doesn’t seem like it has opened up yet and still sounds etched and shut in.

I do hope the treble hardness and brightness goes away. How long does this take?

The GTX D Gold had boomy low bass but I liked the top end on that. Overall, if I had to choose one among the 3 outlets, I prefer the Maestro so far.
Echoing the comments of others after 60 hours - the burn in is a pain!

It alternates from sounding better to sounding worse in the treble. Earlier the tight bass got boomy but that seems to have cured itself.

I can't recall the GTX-D Gold being that bad with respect to burn in.
I whopped a Cardas Golden Reference power cord on the DAC (I had a Cardas Clear Beyond there) and it ameliorated the issue with the highs brought about by the GTX-D R NCF, making the listening more enjoyable and less of a chore during the burn in process.

There was less air and space between notes than with the Clear Beyond but a fuller more "golden" sound kind of like with the GTX-D Gold outlet but with more detail.

All these tweaks and cabling are tone controls - just saying.