Fully Modded Origin Live OL1 or Stock Rega RB-600?

Wondering if the OL1 with structural mod, full external and internal re-wire and upgraded RCA's would be better than a stock RB-600. This is not the Origin Live Silver; it's basically a heavily modded RB-250. Will have a Dynavector 20xL mounted on either arm on a P-25.

It's counterintuitive to me to go backwards in the Rega line and gain an improvement, especially going from a $700msrp arm to a $575msrp arm, but who knows. OL says the OL1 will outperform a RB900 but, of course, they're trying to sell tonearms!

I can get a great deal on the OL1 ($375 - normally $575) but I don't want to waste the money if it's not going to be a significant improvement over the stock RB-600.
slate1

Showing 3 responses by twl

Ron, since the "end buttons" on the new OL Silver arm are broader than the old "cap nuts", you just glue the weights onto the ends, sticking out the same way.
That's all there is to it.
Perhaps a gram or two less weight in the weights(per side) might be indicated, because of the additional mass of the bigger "end buttons".
Works fine.
Some people have already done this with no difficulty.
I agree that due to various aspects of the design of the 250, it can be a better arm(when modded) than the 300, 600, 900 arms.

Some of the "tweaks" often used for the 300/600/900 arms are trying to restore them to as much like the 250 as they can get. Such as removing the spring, and going to dynamic balancing.

I'd vote for the modded 250.
Yes, I read that review with interest, and what really floored me was that here were all these experienced guys using a DL103 on an OL1 and OL Silver, and not one of them had(or apparently even knew about) the HiFi mod for these arms.

If they cannot find a "nit to pick" with a DL103 on either of those arms, I have some news for them. They are missing about 25% of what that combo could do, and it's only $1 and a trip to the fishing tackle store from knocking their socks into next week.

There are dozens, and maybe even hundreds of audiophiles now using the HiFi mod on their Rega and OL arms with the DL103 series cartridges. It is well known both on Audiogon and on Audio Asylum. Most readers here know what a difference it makes with these low compliance cartridges on these Rega and OL arms.

I wonder why it is so unknown in reviewer circles?
You'd think that at least one of these guys would have heard about it, or possibly even heard one in action.
I guess not.

I was thinking about writing a note to them, suggesting that they try it, and then see what they say about the arm.