Full sounding Bookshelf speakers music only

I'm trying to find a nice full sounding bookshelf, or monitor pair for a new set-up. I have a nad c740, and I'm looking for a good match. I have a budget of $400.00. I don't want to use a sub. This will be for music only. I listen to everything from classical to metal. Thanks.
pattymo
I have a C740 and use the Polk Audio RT-55i. Full range sound, dual 6.5" woofers that go down to 30 hz. They can be
bought used for around $300.00 . The bass extension is as good as my Totem Mani-2 ($4 K)and they have very good efficiency, above 90 db. The other speakers that I would suggest will be the Paradigm Studio 40, V2 or V3, but please be advised that the used price might be a bit above
$400.00 . Hope this helps.

Hector
Like vintage gear? Older bookshelf speakers sometimes are a great buy. Bang and Olufsen Beovox S45-2 speakers from 1980 are pretty nice 3-ways gotten used for $200.00. Use the other $200.00 for quality speaker cable upgrade and quality CD interconnects. Or, Monitor Audio makes nice new speakers in the Bronze Series, B2 and above for about $399.00-- that are very hi-tech and very musical. Oh, bookshelf speakers should go on stands as they sound best there. Just friendly advice!
You might consider Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 1's. They are an incredible sounding bookshelf speaker that performs way past its price of $300.00. You'd be hard pressed to find better for double the money.
What do you consider a "bookshelf" sized speaker? Are you really going to use them in a bookshelf or would "reasonably sized" floorstanders work too? Sean
>
I find the NHT bookshelf speakers in that price range to be quite good for the money.

Tom.