Full Range Speaker $15-$20000 Range?

My system consists of Thor Audio tubed 150 watt monoblocks,
Thor linestage, Thor phono stage & a Thor Dac(ALL Tubes)
with a Cary 306/200 which I use as a transport, Scoutmaster
by VPI table and a Clearaudio Discovery cartridge, and finally a pair of Quad 988;s, loudspeaker with a Audio Physics Minos Subwoofer. My room is 20 X 20 with 12 foot ceilings. The room has been completely completely treated by Mike Kochman of Echo Busters who has done a
wonderful job and I can give my highest recommendation.
The problem is that the sppeaker lacks in dynamics and soundstage. The sound is great with small scale chamber music, solo voices, and solo piano, but it cannot reproduce
an illusion of an entire orchestra and it softens dynamic contrasts, for example the tambourines in Capricio Italien
by Tchaikovsky's are softened. In a non elecrtostatic
speaker the tambourines snap like they do in real life.
I would also like a speaker that does not require a sub. Without the sub on my system the lows are very disappointing. I also need a fairly efficient speaker, because 150 watt a side won't drive a Magnepan and many others. I listen exclusively to 2 channel music, mostly classical, jazz, and classic rock. Does anybody have any personal experience with any speakers that I can audition?
kjl

Showing 1 response by kurt_tank

Well, my advise is to sell both the speakers AND the amps, and change out to what my friend has, who also has the exact same room size (but with a lower ceiling) and the exact same taste in music. (I.e. primarily classical, secondarily jazz, and a bit of classic rock.)

His system uses the Avalon Eidolon speakers, with the VTL MB 450 monoblocks. The soundstaging and dynamics are nothing short of amazing. The only minor drawback to this system is that the bass is slightly, (and I stress SLIGHTLY) rolled off in the lowest bass response. Other than that, it is perfect. It is the best stereo I have heard. The Eidolons do want LOTS of power though, in order to really open up. (My friend went through half a dozen lower powered tube amps before finally settling on the MB 450s.)

If you insist on keeping the amps, you might want to try the Wilson Sophia or Watt Puppy 7's. A fair number of people like these, and they are fairly efficient. (I prefer the Revel Ulitma Series myself, as I have the Revel Studios, but they need more power.) The sound is similar between the lines, in as that as they are both very detailed, and soundstage and image very well. (Not Eidolon great, but pretty dang close!)

My two cents worth anyway. Good Luck in your search!