Full Function preamp

Hello,
I am looking for suggestions between A kora Eclipse or an EAR 864. Santa was very nice to me with the gift a new VPI Scout and Shelter 501 cartridge, so I need to upgrade my AES AE-3(Kit) pre-amp and grado PH-1 phono stage. My amps are also Kora Cosmos. I do prefer these 2 for the reason that they both have pretty good phono stages and balanced output since I have a 18' run to the Amps. What are your thoughts on this.

Thanks for help
John
synjohn

Showing 1 response by c123666

Used Audible Illusions Modulus 3A...great tubed phono stage, optional John Curl moving coil board, all triode design and dedicated power supply. I replaced an Audio Note preamplifier with this and have never looked back. My other choice (would prefer actually) is the VTL Ultimate but they are hard to find and most of them will require much more money thrown at them after purchase due to age. Tubes and caps almost certainly would have to be replaced/upgraded as well as a general cleaning I suspect.

The Art Audio tube phono preamp is very nice and one was for sale at 995. Lovely looking unit; main issue is no balance control at all which I require as much of my library is live digital tapes that sometimes have Left/right channels with record level differences.

Don't forget Acoustic Research. Their vintage SP6 and SP8 are excellent phono preamplifiers. My comments about the VTL apply here as we are talking of around 20 year old components.