From Maggies 1.6QR to B&W N805. Upgrading or Downgrading?

Unfortunately, I have to move to another house where the listening room that I plan to use is very small for my maggies (9'x11'), and the problem is that I'll be living there at least for 5 years, so I do not think that keeping my maggies for 5 years is a good idea. I've never listened to the B&W N805 but I think it could be a good replace together with the rel strata III subwoofer, since I've heard that the B&W N805 are good match for the Musical Fidelity A300 (my amp). Anyway, I would like to know your opinions about this change of speaker and if you think this could be a downgrade in my modest system. If this helps, the music I listen is 80% classical and 20% jazz. Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts.
Coque.
jorge_err

Showing 2 responses by audiotomb

Jorge

Is your room lively or dampened soundwise?

The 805's are a very lively speaker and you may need to dampen the room a bit. I'd audition a pair of the B&W's in your music setting on stands to see how they fit in.

I used to moonlight in a place that sold both Mag's and B&W's. They are both nice speakers, the B&W's handle rock music a little more dynamically. Set up correctly, both will sound very revealing, but yes the Magnepans need a bit more room to work in.

Tom
Jorge

to finish answering your question

it's all a thing of personel preference

I'd say you are upgrading slightly

the low end B&W's I actually like the 805's when coupled with a good sub, better than the 804 or 803's. Much less cabinet resonance and crisp imaging. Do try out with your system first if possible (dealer demo)