From anthem/pse to rowland seperates?

Alright guys, I generally come here to hear what you have to say about gear. I currently have an Anthem PRE1 and a set of PSE studio V monoblocks running my Infinity RSIIs. I love the speakers, they are staying... Source is a boulder modified squeezebox and a turntable that I may never finish assembling (no arm yet).

I am considering stepping up the front end on my system after hearing the difference in the boulder modded squeeezbox vs. the stock unit. The Infinitys are a pain to drive, and that is the one reason I would consider giving them up...

A friend of mine has a Rowland Model 5a & Consummate preamp for sale. It would cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of 3,200 to buy them both. Ill be honest, this is a sum of money I have never even considered spending on gear.

Would this be a huge upgrade from what I am currently using? He says yes.. and I do believe him. It is a very difficult choice to make since audition is not in the realm of possibility.

Is there some other gear I should be looking at? I do have a lazarus balanced preamp and a 200/200 that need service. Would they be an upgrade from the anthem/pse combo?

Thanks guys, just looking around for suggestions. I don't have the money handy so it would have to be a "save up" kinda deal.

Evan
240z4u

Showing 4 responses by 240z4u

Well, it is not so much that he isn't a good freind.. but the gear is located half the way across the country and shipping to me and back if I didn't dig it would cost a few hundred bucks or so.

I am starting to wonder the same thing about the preamp, maybe that is truely my weak link at this point.

I know the amps can be world beaters, but I need to get them into a skilled tech for a good spiffing up.

Jaybo, and others thank you for piping up. keep up the suggestions!

Evan

BTW, I am not running anything super special for cables and PC's right now. I have nordost flatlines for speaker wire, and some diy canare interconnects for sources. The Infinitys have been recapped and crossovers restored as well.
Crap, I hate the lack of post editing. I actually have the PRE2L anthem I think. it is the line stage with no outboard PSU.

Evan
Since everyone here seems to like the PSE amps as well, I am going to send them off to get tested and re-polished if needed. My buddy thought highly of them as well.

I see a preamp upgrade in my future. I am working on the repair of my lazarus balanced preamp. 12ax7s and 6dj8s. Ill report back if I can get this thing running.

I appreciate the insight.

Evan
Dan, please send me an email so I have your contact information in case I do decide to sell them. I appreciate your sarcasm. I have a lonely PSE studio II monoblock if you need a center channel amp.

Jaybo, the lazarus amp is going into a shop in chicago that is near my brothers place. It is a 200/200 and I am fixing the preamp. I fat fingered it and blew up a couple transistors in the B+

Thanks for the encouragement.

Evan