from a Krell SS- FPB 600 to What Tube Amp ?

I have been a Krell listener for 15 years, from the KSA-150 to the FPB 300 ,to now the FPB 600. I love the Power in Class A, and the great Bass that the Krell offers. But I think I maybe missing out here on some great tube amps. I think it is time to give a reasonable audition to some Tube Amps. IF I could please get some experienced answers , that would be much appreciated, like someone who has gone threw this transition . I know all the names of the best tube amps, but getting someone who has experienced this is very valuable to me. My budget is $5K- $8K used prefered, $$lower also works.

My System:

Meitner-EMM Labs DCC2 + Phillips cdp D.O.M ( Truly Amazing )
Kubala Emotion cables, all cables (***** Truly Amazing )
Walker Velociter ( Great Stuff )
Infinity MTS Preludes, 6 Ohms (also need to change)
Townshend Super Tweeters ( Great Stuff )
Krell FPB-600
macallan25

Showing 1 response by raquel

I think you wanted a response to your question, and here it is.

The most potent tube amp I am aware of is the CAT JL-1 monoblocks. They are only rated at 100 watts per channel, but the figure is meaningless, as they have outrageous power supplies and output transformers (that convert voltage to current in a way that make the amp competitive, power-wise, with large SS amps).

Ken Stevens, CAT's principal, used to A/B these amps at shows against a 600 watt/channel Krell -- the Krell allegedly sound neutered by comparison.

The amps weigh 194 lbs. each unboxed, much of which is the beastly transformers. There is a "Limited Edition" version of the amps that retailed for $50,000, which has outrageous parts quality and sound purity. The regular version listed for $20,000.

I have VAC 140 monoblocks, and because of the same design approach of beefy power supplies and high-quality output transformers, they too, on a reduced scale compared to the CAT monos, can drive current-hungry speakers. They weigh 115 lbs. each unboxed. A good salesman I know at Singer said that the VAC 140's do a much better job of driving the Pipedreams than the VTL 750's.

With tube amps, the ability to deliver current, which they do not do well because tube amps produce voltage, not current, comes down to the quality of the transformers and power supplies. Another high-current tube amp is the Audio Valve Challenger 400, a German-made amp. There is also an Air Tight limited edition monoblock design that is very high current (it also costs $60K).

Good luck.