FPB 300 vs 600 - Incremental or Fundamental?

Hi all,

I'm about to replace my Krell KAV250A, and am considering either the FPB300 or the FPB600. Purchasing the '300 is not too much of a stretch, but the 600 will require much belt -tightening and sacrifice. My question is: are they really that different? Does the 600 give you a bit more detail, depth, slam, air, whatever, than the 300, or is it an entirely different level of performance?

In doing this upgrade, I'm hoping for truth of timbre, more of the 'performers in the room' type of experience. Musicality, of course, is always the top priority.

Any comments, especially from those who have spent time with both amps, wil be greatly appreciated

My system:
Krell 300cd
Krell KRC-HR pre
Krell KAV 250A amp
Aerial Acoustics 10T
Interconnects Audioquest Diamond x3 (XLR)
ESP Essence power cords

Kind regards
Mick
zuraid5282

Showing 1 response by nrchy

I had an FPB 200 (I know,not the one you're asking about) and sold it to buy an FPB 700cx (I know,not the one you're asking about) but in my experience the two amps were vastly different.

The control the 700 held over the music was amazing. The bass was faster, and tighter, the midrange was smoother, and fuller. I didn't really notice a lot of difference in the highs, as I recall. Soundstaging and imaging was deeper, wider, fuller, and more defined.

Other than that, I didn't notice any difference.

I wrote reviews for both amps if you want to read them. Clink on the threads link under my looser, I mean user name.