Forgotten heavy bands from late 60's to early 70's

Have been a fan of hard rock/metal since high school. Always liked the heavy/physcadelic bands equally to the metal bands I grew up with Ozzy-Maiden and Scorpions ect. Recently on Youtube I discovered some heavy/physcadelic bands I was unaware of. 13th Floor Elevators-Five Day Rain-Probe Direction-The Hook and Vahalla. Are these bands albums worth persuing? Feel free to mention any other band that deserves to be heard. Look forward to your responses.
dayglow

Toad, Swiss band with members from Brainticket and lead guitarist from Hawkwind. For some real heavyosity try some Krautrock bands like Eloy, Faust, Amon Duul, Ash Ra Temple. As others have mentioned Michigan bands like MC5, Frigid Pink, Bob Seger System (2+2 total heavyosity), Stooges, SRC, Mitch Ryder and Detroit Wheels, The Underdogs, Unrelated Segments, Amboy Dukes, The Up, Sonics Rendezvous Band, Detroit (the band), I could go on and on. I got to see many of these bands around Ann Arbor when i was just a wee lad.

@larsman: You may already know, but Man's drummer Terry Williams was later in the UK super-group Rockpile, and is also heard on the late-70/80's solo albums of Rockpile members Dave Edmunds and Nick Lowe. After that he joined Dire Straits, and is now retired. A great drummer.

Youse guys are good, lots of goodies mentioned. a few that slipped twee the tracks:

Leafhound 'growers of mushrooms; 

Tommy Bolin 'Teaser' 

Most bands mentioned are,not metal. Maybe a,precursor in down tuned guitars.

with the Sabbath slow dirge and bass heavy sound.

Leaf hound, possibly a steep towards that direction  

coven (lyrics are amazing, Jinx has the perfect voice for the band. I may be wrong, but if I remember history, didn’t the,first Coven LP predate the,first sabbath,album by weeks???  They have a song titled “Black Sabbath” and early sabbath was known as,”earth”  

quartz is active again!!

tysondog

PENTAGRAM  !

BANG

NAZARETH!  

ted nugent

new York,dolls

thin lizzy

uriah heep

scorpions

UFO

AC/DC

JUDAS PRIEST

trapeze

stray

horse

may blitz

moxy

bow wow

many more  brain hurts

@arcticdeth This is true, but then metal really came into vogue around mid 70's. Both prog and metal morphed from these earlier bands.