Forever turntable under $2000

In search of: forever turntable.

I'm currently looking to upgrade from my existing Pro-Ject RPM 1.3 to a table that I will (hopefully) never grow out of. I'm looking for something that is *technically* competent, something where I know the engineering is extremely solid and "timeless," and provides a good analog platform to swap carts with. My budget for this is $1600 with cart (but up to $2000 if there's a good case for it). The rest of my system is as follows:

* LSA 2.1 Statement speakers

* Schiit Gumby DAC

* Schiit Freya preamp

* Adcom GFA555 power amp

* Schiit Mani phono stage

So far, I have looked into the Rega P6 (or a used RP6), a Clearaudio Concept, a variety of Pro-Ject offerings, and a Michell Technodec... but at this level there are so many choices, its hard to know where to start. Any ideas? Thanks!
primarist
My personal "forever" turntable is superheavy Luxman PD-444 Direct Drive for two tonearms. I think the designer is genuous. Here is the manual . I've sold Technics SP-10 mkII because of my two Luxman machines and i don't regret about it.  
Interesting thread. Forever turntable. Under $2k. And surprisingly, a whole bunch of people seriously think there is such a thing. Even more interesting, they're right! My Technics is from 1975. My Teres is from 2003 http://www.teresaudio.com/fame/40.html There are of course plenty of turntables from Linn, Garrard, and others that may be even older yet still running strong, and still getting good money in the used market. Clearly there is such a thing as a forever turntable.

But everyone knows that. What's interesting is, could you imagine a thread like this only looking for a forever CD player?

I know. Hilarious. Nuff said.
well, even though I own a Technics, the older scout is just a hard table to beat for used prices. I listened to a fully radicalized lp12 and came home and listened to the scout and did not feel like I was missing much. Was the LP12 better, sure it costs 20K, it better be. However the scout really delivers a very pleasing analog playback. you might be surprised.
...for even less money, under $1000 if you’re lucky, vintage Denon DP80.
Good suggestion Lewm. DP80 is my keeper. This is after LP12, Oracle Delphi, Thorens 124, 125, 126, Garrard 301, 401, Micro Seiki DQX1000, various Regas and Aristons. None compare for rock-steady pitch and silence. It has Quartz lock, or manual if you prefer. They sell under a Gee on the bay, and that leaves more than enough to replace all the ’lytics (for the 'forever' part) and buy a good tonearm or cartridge (if needed).
Some great suggestions but I would join "leotis" and get a Merrill GEM Dandy PolyTable.  I've know George for decades and he can get you some goose-bumps!

This "budget" table gets all the trickle down R&D from his Merrill-Williams R.E.A.L. 101.3 Turntable (to often overlooked-I would love to own .  Speed & stability controls are probably the best on the planet and dampening isolation is exceptional.  The review by Michael Fremer should have been vindication enough for most to seek this GEM out. 
I should add that I have purchased several analog products from Mr. Merrill and have always been satisfied.  None however could approach the joy I get from buying the Sutherland N1 Preamplifier from George.
Sleepwalker, The coreless motor in the new Technics turntables, even including the SP10R that was tested by M Fremer and found to be the most speed stable turntable that he has ever evaluated, derives from the first coreless turntable motor, invented and marketed by Dual in the late 1950s or early 1960s.  How tried and true do you want it to be?  Is the 60 year history of its progenitors in the marketplace sufficient to convince you the new motor is likely to be reliable?

The motors of the Pioneer P10 and P3, the Kenwood L07D, the Yamaha GT2000, the Victor TT101, and even up to and including the Brinkmann Bardo, and others I am not thinking of, all belong to this same lineage. In fact, Dual sued Kenwood back in the day, because the L07D motor was too exactly like their motor.  Kenwood had to produce a second generation of the L07D in order to avoid patent infringement.

Technics' mistake (IMO) in the making of the new generation of their direct drives was to make them too much like the old SL1200 (and SL1500, 1600, 1700, etc) in outward appearance.  However, I understand why they did it.  Below the surface, the new models are superior in every way.  I side with Chakster in defense of the old line, too. With some mods, they can be made to perform very well.  Of course, DJ's liked them too.  Why? Because they like other DD turntables come up to speed very rapidly, and because they take a lot of abuse.
Yamaha PX2 linear tracking turntable are very good. Will need to
modify the tone arm belt . Its not difficult.
Here is a picture of a modified tonearm belt.
Dave's Audio Upgrades 
Lewm, the coreless design in principle as a DESIGN is proven, but design has nothing to do with the EXECUTION. Technics used the exact same motor/platter/tonearm for 30 years and then changed direction in design, which dictates different components are used to execute the different design.

Execution demonstrates its worthiness over the duration it is utilized. That is the measure of durability. In light of the fact that this is a new execution of a different design, it remains to be assessed over a reasonable period of time how well it acquits itself.
Hi primarist,

FunkFirm Flamenca
Rega RP6
VPI Scout
or any used tt in 5-6K league
"engineering is extremely solid and "timeless," and provides a good analog platform to swap carts "

Get a tonearm with a removable headshell. Maybe a Technics or something with one of the new Jelco tonearms
I'll put in my vote for the Linn, too.  I bought mine (SN 1734) used in 1975, with a Keith Monks mercury arm.  I've tweaked it over the years, recently attaching the Lingo, and placing corner braces (have a friend with a great wood shop).  You can certainly get a used one, maybe even with their best bearing, for what you want to spend.  There are a lot of turntables that are cooler looking, but this is definitely a "forever" one.
You'd have to be quite the pessimist to be concerned with Technics TT longterm reliability.    I have a cheap P mount  Technics TT sitting on the shelf that I am certain will outlast me.   Japanese direct drives in general just keep ticking.   I have several from 70's and 80's that won't stop.  U gotta be kidding me.

Post removed 
Sorry to disappoint but, in my opinion, there is no turntable you will never grow out of that meets your budget. 

You need to be thinking more like 10K new or 5K used. Plus another 3+K for cartridge.
I second the pro -ject classic. I bought the sb superpack model with the sumiko blue point no 2. It also came with speed control as well as a great record clamp and leather mat. To my ears and eyes it’s a fantastic table.im waiting to see when the classic evo comes out! What an awesome table that looks to be!
Its very ignorant that no one includes Early Thorens, Lenco or AR.

What the hell is all this love in for Technics 1200sg all of a sudden? Can anyone prove that its audiophile musical quality? Does it blow Linn and Ariston away? 
What the hell is all this love in for Technics 1200sg all of a sudden? Can anyone prove that its audiophile musical quality?

@vinny55 Do you need a proof for the brands like Technics ?

Look for SP-10 mkII and MK III, comparing those ultimate turntables to some belt drives is a joke. You may never tried a proper japanese Direct Drive if you asking such questions. The accuracy of new Coreless Direct drive from Technics is second to none, this is probably the best NEW DD motor in existence. However, an old Direct Drive tables are great too (Victor TT-101, Denon DP-80, Luxman PD-444 ... and many more).

Comparing Belt Drive to Coreless Direct Drive is like comparing apples to oranges.

Personally i would never ever buy any belt drive turntable for whatever price, even for free.
Used Well Tempered Simplex. I had some really nice pretty expensive tables before it. LP12, Amazon 2, Mitchel Orbe. Simplex was better than all of them and super easy to set up.
Have any of you Technics fanboys considered the fact that some people don’t like how direct drive turntables sound? Because you should. 
Ummm, Jeffreylee, you could be right, but I don’t think so. Assuming that “some people” don’t like superior quality, but that’s a stretch, because common idiots don’t really count as a people. Hel-loo!
Post removed 
Technics 1200/1210 GR. You can get the black GR models at the pro music sites (Sweetwater) 6 months same as cash. I know people here may throw a fit, I’m running my 1200GR with the KAB A-40 with STY40 stylus. Happy as a bird. Much more detailed and smoother than my AT vm540ml. Many say its basically an Ortofon Black in a Concorde body.

The standard a-40 concorde is based on the Ortofon Blue 

https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/ortofon.htm