For tube sound, which is more important: preamp or power amp?

I have always loved the “tube sound” - warmth, midrange, soundstage. Through the years (since about 1975), I have owned many tube and solid state amps and preamps, in various combinations. Presently, I have a tube amp and a solid state preamp. But like most of you, I am thinking of making changes, again.  Not to cloud the discussion, the specific brands are not important.  I also listen to acoustic music, females vocals, love mini monitors, EL34s, NOS tubes, and don’t care that much about bass.  So you can see that my taste fits the tube sound very well. But I have had systems that are too warm, not enough dynamics or details, and fat in the low end, too.

okay, now to the discussion.  To produce the tube sound, which is more important: the preamp or the power amp?  Let’s talk in general, and (if possible? May not be) not tied to one specific piece/brand/model of equipment.  I know there are exceptions to any general rule.  Not sure if it makes a difference to your comments, but I have no phono and am running line stage only.

As an attempt to prevent the conversation as going in a big tangent, let’s assume equality of price/quality. i.e. not comparing a $10k power amps contribution to a system to that of a $1k preamp.  Let’s also assume that the amp (tube or solid state) can drive the speakers just fine, such that compatibility does not limit the decision. And ignore mono blocks versus stereo amp differences.  

two follow ons: I have  the perception that preamps give you more bang for the buck - meaning that it takes less money to get a great tube preamp compared to a great tube amp.  Agree/disagree? And second, I have never owned a tube dac or CD player, and will assume that tubes in either of these is less critical than in a preamp or power amp. Agree/disagree?

i am interested in your thoughts.

Bill
meiatflask
BTW I like all tube for classical and jazz, but for rock you gotta have that SS pre-amp in there to drive that bass.
That's pretty subjective- I find that my tube amps can play bass better than any solid state amp on my system. I play a lot of rock too. My speakers go to 20Hz and are 16 ohms so tubes play them easily. On top of that, my amps are full power to 2Hz, so no hint of a rolloff at any frequency the speakers can play.
Preamp - it's all about the signal. The preamp feeds an output signal to the amplifier, which in turn sends it to the speakers.  The amp just provides a higher voltage to drive the speakers.

If the preamp distorts the output signal, the amp can't fix that. 
The amp just provides a higher voltage to drive the speakers.
As well as vastly more current and power, of course.

If the preamp distorts the output signal, the amp can’t fix that.
However, if the amp distorts its output signal the preamp can’t fix that either :-)

Regards,
-- Al
So true Al and This is why for quite some time I've subscribed to the "weakest link" concept in regard to audio components/signal chain.  Every link along this chain is simply important.  Screw up any part of this signal path and you can't make up for it elsewhere. 
Charles 
Preamp for tubes, solid state for the power. It isn’t purest way to use tubes, but the cost of a high powered tube amp (100% amp) or a power amp is prohibitive for most buyers. I’ve always had solid state amps, but on a hunch I bought the Monoprice 50 watt hybrid and have been surprised just how much the tubes make in defining the instruments, voices, and widening the sound stage. It doesn’t hurt the output amp is clean. I do believe my next new amp will be the Rogue. It won’t break the bank, and it gets high raves for a hybrid amplifier.