For those of you who had spent over hundred thousand dollars for your sound system.

Do you think, in retrospect, that you could have gotten better sound quality out of your sound system with much less money spend. Do you have any regrets for spending huge amount of $$$? If you can start all over again, what would be different this time around? Let’s talk about electronics only and not room improvement for now. I know they go together, but the subject becomes very broad - assume your room is near perfect for sound reproduction.

P.S. Mike Levine, please don't shy away from the subject.  

128x128tannoy56

Are you nuts? I don’t spend even a tiny fraction of this kind money in my systems.

Wife looking over my shoulders.......... 

I suspect that the Uber wealthy entrust component selection to the "experts" and don't care how much it costs, so long as the well paid experts make sure it works optimally, and is something that the owner can brag about to their Uber wealthy associates in a "my D is bigger than your D because my system cost $$$$$!" way.  God bless them! I sincerely hope that some day my bankroll is big enough to leave scuff marks on the ceiling with my nose, too! In the meantime, I will be satisfied with experiences I can enjoy with my middle class budget.

Having worked since I was 15 and a wife that made me invest all the time. We retired a nice nest egg. We never had any kids. During the pandemic, I decided to get back into audio and get out my old cd collection. This eventually led into vinyl again. I have not added up what I have spent but is is close to the 100k. I do not regret any of it. I enjoy every minute I spend listening. 

Almost all of the people I know who have ultra high end systems do not at all try to impress anyone, if anything, they hide their addiction.  If anyone, aside from audio friends, knew how much I spent on the gear, that would totally confirm their suspicions that I am nuts.  

How would I explain that a 4-meter interconnect cost $18,000?  How would I explain that the midrange drivers in my system were made around 1949 and currently cost around $30,000 for a matched pair?  This is only discussed among other audio crazies.

I don’t regret it at all. For me, it was money spent over the course of a number of years, and part of the audiophile “upgrade” process so to speak. In fact, it still goes on today. That’s what make this hobby a hobby for me. If I had spent the money all at once it might have not been as satisfied, and a hard pill to swallow  I think that’s the key. I’m glad I did it that way.