For Newbies: how to listen:swaps/changes

Listening to a system component change, or going out to listen to new equipment, can be confusing to someone who hasn't mastered the art. I would like to start a topic that might get others to note just what THEY listen for/ notice when modding/swapping stuff. So newer students of the art of swapping/modding (and auditioning) can learn.
I usually will listen to whatever CD has my attention lately and a few that I especially like. I WILL repeat the same parts (I don't get bored, I actually find more every time I listen) i listen, noting if any "new" sound is 'jumping out at me (a triangle I never notice as such before, or that it suddenly sparkles so dramatically) or if some sound is suddenly totaly recognizable (a tapping on a glass with a spoon!! in a P J Harvey tune). etc..
Also switching BACK and seeing if it really is different... and quitting if your "hearing" gets tired.
Any others with hints???
(I'm NOT listing all my ideas now so we all don't get bored reading just my hints!!!)
elizabeth

Showing 1 response by doug28450

The idea of having a few songs or pieces of music is an outstanding suggestion that I myself follow. Another rule that I have is only changing one piece of equipment at a time. When I put a new piece of equipment in the system my first goal is to try to identify what it does differently. Once I have gotten a feel for what it does, I attempt to determine weather the differences are improvements. Remember, just because something sounds different does not mean that it sounds better. I sometimes think we fool ourselves into thinking that different means better, IMO it doesn't. Determining weather a difference is an improvement can take some time. This is where I move away from the few "audition" pieces of music and start listening to as much different music as I can. While doing this I continue to switch back and forth between the equipment pieces being compared, although not nearly as much. Last working with a good dealer or two can help a great deal. Get to know them and let them get to know you. Tell them what your priorities are and stick with it. If a priority changes, let them know. If the dealer knows what you want to upgrade and knows what your goals and tastes are they can and will help you.