Focus on 24/192 Misguided?.....

As I've upgraded by digital front end over the last few years, like most people I've been focused on 24/192 and related 'hi rez' digital playback and music to get the most from my system. However, I read this pretty thought provoking article on why this may be a very bad idea:
http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Maybe it's best to just focus on as good a redbook solution as you can, although there seem to be some merits to SACD, if for nothing else the attention to recording quality.
128x128outlier

Showing 1 response by earlxtr

I read that artical explaining why theroretically we can not hear anything above redbook. I think the key is to keep improving coding and decoding of this standard. It would seam that the team that developed the CD standard where no idiots knew exactly what the standard needed to be for the human ear. I just got a Metrum Octave last night and I must say it takes another (huge) step forward in extracting amazing sound from redbook recordings. Also, recordings have gotten vastly better in the the past 30 years. I now have sound quality that I believe truly rivals analog, and it only took 30 years to get it. he he

Earl