Focus Audio Classic

Unfortunately I can not afford the Focus Audio Sigs which I love and have never really considered the classic line until now.

What do you think about them and what have you compared them too.

The more I can learn about these beauties the better.

Cheers,
Nick
nickway

Showing 9 responses by whitty634

Hi Guys,
So there are some poeple that have hear the incredible sound of the f688 out there. i have owned b&w 805 sigs, green mountain europas, dynaudio 1.3se and many more monitors...the f688 were ahead by leaps and bounds

I had all these speaker hooked up to sim audio gear and the result with the f688 took my breath away. I had to sell them because of money problems,
everyone regrets selling an audio item at some point in their life, selling the f688 was by far the biggest regret in audio. I will be getting anothe rpair in the near future
Jason
Maxx
i have another pair on order as we speak!!
since i live in canada you would think the audio store I am dealing with would be able to get a pair in a couple week...so far i have been waiting for a month...there are some poeple out there that know about true audio quality when they hear it..Enjoy
Jason
ps Maxx what do you have powering your f688?
Glai

Don't get me wrong the 805 sigs IMO are a great speaker, second on my list of the speakers I have owned.
I listen to jazz, classical, old rock. The f688 do all types of music very well, there mid range really is second to none (that i have heard anyway). I find the f688 to pull you into the music, 3d sound stage, amazing imaging. There are songs where you can actually hear that the singer is sitting at the piano, A little to the left of center and lower (seated position. I have had friends come over and show me their goose bumps after listening to a track from Norah jones and many other artists.

the sound from the 805 sig IMO are more separated, no musical flow or involving pace. Also the 805 sigs do not do rock music very well, probably because they are so acurrate.

Philnyc Hope you are right, I can't wait to get my focus f688 back... they really are second to none

best wishes
Jason
Nick
This is what the dealer in my area told me (calgary)
The fit and finish of the older model are a not as refined
The drivers used are a lower grade (the 9900 tweeters on the f688 are worth 400 USD)
But he said one of the biggest differences is that the crossover and the tolerance between drivers (less than wilson watts speakers)

With the older f68 you do not get same refined imaging, and 3-d sound stage, The new cross-overs bring out the liquid mids and highs. The eton drivers produce a dense (for lack of better word) bass that you would not think to come out of such a small driver.
But remember this is all coming from a dealer.
Jason
Phil
Just got a call today, dealer has the invoice the f688 where shipped on monday i believe...the waiting is almost over...better get the merlot and some good canadian beer ready!!!!

Jason
Philnyc

I still haven't hear from the dealer???
Maybe I will give them a call and see how the progress is coming.
I have been listening to a old pair of bookselves that just don't make the grade for a while now. I have been waiting for a couple months now...They will probably sound great right out of the box (considering what I have been using lately)

Jason
I am using a sim audio I-5 intergrated with stellar results
My room is 14 x 16 and the sim makes the f688 absolutely sing in my system. The 70 WPC is very under rated in my opinion, I have hear 6000 (CDN) separates that could not reproduce the sound quality and speed of the I-5.(not to mention PRAT)
I have also heard the mark levenson and jeff rowland intergrated at, at lease twice the price and i would take the I-5 anyday

just my 2 cents
Jason
Maxxc
The i-5 I own is a limited edition (number 178 out of 250 i believe) and compared to the other regular i-5 in my previous system the sonic signiture has a blacker background and a new found clearity...great equipment
Jason