focus audio 788's

I am awaiting the arrival of a pair of these speakers ordered on the strength of research/ postings on Audiogon. I would appreciate some feedback of this model in particular, as most of the posts are about the 688's. I would love to hear from some current or past owners of 788's if possible. Thanks.
mgoldmd

Showing 1 response by panderso

Recently heard the 788s on a visit to Toronto. I spent that weekend listening to a number of speakers from different manufacturers, at different stores, up to around the price range of the 788s, and beyond. The 788s left the best overall impression with me; very complete and well balanced across the spectrum, very well-balanced, and exceptional in the ability to render highs with great detail, sweetness, but no harsh glare. I preferred them to the comparably priced Dynaudio Special 25s, though these were also excellent, and were being driven by more humble electronics. Allowing for the imperfect comparison, there was more life in the 788s, with no sense of exaggeration. I also felt the 788s had more clarity or coherence than comparably priced three-ways I've heard.
I'm more likely to look at the 688s for my own small room, so no axe to grind. Happy hunting...