Focal diablos vs Dynaudio focus 380 PLEASE HELP

Curious as to what peoples thoughts are comparing these. I know they are both totally different animals but im having a very hard time deciding weather a pair of super high end mini monitors with a JL fathom 12" subs, is a better choice for a wide variety of music vs the dyns (also paired with 2 f112's). The dyns would be able to get me the SPL over the focals, but they probably aren't as smooth, not to mention almost half the price for the setup im considering.. Any thoughts would be most appreciated! The electronics used would be a classe cap2100 and cdp 302 for the focals (roughly $10,000) Or Bryston 4bsst2 with bp 26 and cd1 for the dyns (roughly 18,000 used)
128x128w7_gsr

Showing 2 responses by w7_gsr

Well thanks man! Yeah, just comparing speaker price alone, ive found both USED in great shape for around 7500. Its obviously going to cost more to power larger (not to mention worse effecient) speakers. So thats the only real difference in price. I can somewhat justify the difference though as my father has a older classe cap 150 and its had a few (very minor) quirks. The bryston has a 20 year warranty, so that gives me some piece of mind.. Im assuming all things being equal (with the low end cut off around 90 hz for the sub) That the dyns will be able to play much louder given there raw quantity of drivers. I don't reach super loud spl all the time, but when it calls for it, for the money im spending, I want to get to reference/concert levels when I call for it. That and given the bulk of the music style I mainly play, Id say the dyns/bryston would be the ideal fit for me. I haven't personally heard the fathom, but I did have the w7 (car audio and loved it) Along with the reviews I hear, im willing to purchase without an audition. Do you feel the 113 a lot more output than the 112? (if you've had the opportunity to compare) I find only a couple hundred dollar price difference used between the two) Would you opt for the 113 or do you find that its overkill? Keep in mind I plan on running 2 to even out room acoustic/modes. Thanks very much for the lengthy inputs! Most appreciated!
Elviukai, it sounds as though you're opting for the diablos in this comparison. Have you heard the updated version of dynaudio focus line to make a direct comparison?
-Do other people agree that cutting a high end monitor speaker at 80-90 hz and adding a sub would be very similar in output alone compared to a larger floorstander thats also cut out at the same frequency? Usually what you get with a floor stander are the obvious increase in cabinet size and larger low end drivers.. which wouldn't ultimately be totally useful considering the low end is already taken care of via subs. Anyone elses thoughts would be most appreciated. I feel like its a lot to ask out of just having a 1" tweet and a single 6.5 to cover 85 percent of the sound produced to reach 105-115 dbs, even with a sub.