Focal Diablo / Utopia III breakin really long?

I've purchased a new pair of Focal Diablos. When the speakers were first installed for a day or so they were good though the midland and up had a pretty coherent image. After the first few days they really lost some life, weird. I was warned that this would occur and the magic would reappear after break in but I didnt really expect this. This pair now has around 300 hrs on them. I don't know how many music hours it will take for them to break in and open up. Any Diablo or other Utopia series III owners out there that have experienced this?

Showing 2 responses by tom6897

Glad to know you have the experience.

As a general rule when buying new I like to make a deal on the demo equipment at the dealer. This ensures that you do not overpay and the unit in question will have several hundred hours on it before you get it home.

Let us know what happens in the next two weeks of listening.
Have not owned them but have a local dealer with whom I have listened with many times. The beryllium tweeter and stiff woofers take some time to relax and settle in.

I recommend that you put on a CD on "repeat" with great dynamics (Steeley Dan "Aja", "Gaucho",) Face speakers toward each other about 18" inches apart and reverse the phase on one speaker (switch the Red and Black on one side). Throw a blanket over them and let them run at 90-95db for a few days, especially while no one is home.

Have you had your dealer over to help with set-up? or a trusted friend with knowledge of speaker set up?