Focal Chorus 700

I just by chance heard the Chorus 726v at a dealer, paired with nice Audio Research front end gear. I was rather impressed. I had been looking at the B&W 804D's and where as the cabinet design is much slicker on the B&W. I was again really impressed the sound of the Focal. Does anyone here have any experience comparing the two and / or similar sized Focal's that are higher up the Focal line? I have an all Audio Research front end (CD3 MkII, LS26, VT100MKII) and all transparent cables, etc. Thank you
vdosc

Showing 1 response by kcgumbohead

I can speak from experience on this topic having owned both B&W and Focal. I once owned the B&W N805 coupled with a subwoofer. The system prior to that was an NAD/NHT combo that I really enjoyed, I "upgraded" to the well reviewed 805s spent a lot of money and my listening enjoyment went straight into the crapper. There was a wholeness to the previous rig that was now absent. No warmth, no balls, no meat on the bones, no emotional involvment. The toes never got to tappin!! I listened with the sub, without the sub, it was the same result. I got a bigger amp a Bryston 4B-ST as the B&Ws like lotsa power right??, well it helped a bit and I convinced myself that I was happy with it (some of the missing "meat" did return, I emphasize SOME) but something, a lot actually was still missing. Around this time Focal issued the 25th anniv, model Electras with the "be" tweeter. I had been listening and researching and for a wash money wise a swap was made, I got 907BE standmounts. Same system, room, etc., NOW there was midrange meat, life, detail, that elusive wholeness to the presentation restoring the pleasure to music listening that had been absent for so long. I still ran them with a sub till I decided to try the next model up a 927be. This would be comparable to the 804D you are currently shopping. The 927 had/has a top to bottom presentation that was really addicting. They made listening to music a lot of fun, still do as they sit in the living room as the main house speakers. Current listening room rig is Focal Utopia micro bes plus a sub. The micro/sub is also a fun, fantastic but different sonic picture that the 927. I have a great deal of poorly recorded music, lotsa rock/metal... The utopias give what you put in so I hear the various levels of recording quality, compression, sibilance recorded a bit hotter that nature. Thats a double edged sword I also get subtle details revealed that I never heard in very familiar recordings. This is not to be confused with harshness or cold uninvolving sound, just the opposite but it unveils all the differences between all the recordings in my collection and in the end I like that, a lot!!!. The 927s reveal these differences but to a lesser degree. On a lot of rock recordings thats not a bad thing, try some Queensryche on for size and you'll see what I mean. I love them both and spend many hours enjoying all of my recordings on both systems. I appreciate both presentations and frankly they aren't that far apart, I could happily live with either if I had to give one up, the toughest part would be to pick one. I mention this as an illustration of what to expect at different levels within the Focal line. This also only concerns Focal be series speakers the 907/927s preceeded the current Electra be series and to my ear the be tweeters are worth an audition. I have read great reviews of the chorus series but haven't heard them for myself. Your impressions lead me to believe that the "Focal sound" that I am such a fan of is maintained in the chorus series. I did audition both B&W 802N and the newer 802D series. Both models were heard in various locations and were well broken in. What I'll call "B&W sound" that I came to know very well with my 805s was present in both versions of the 802's meaning they were familiar but not my cup of tea, they didn't make me want to keep listening. In the end its what sounds good to you and I still have fond memories of that modest NAD/NHT combo, it was only after much time and money spent going the wrong way sonically that I got back on track via the Focals. Shop well and best of luck.