Focal 1037BE; All-Rounders Extraordinaire!

Happy Thanksgiving fellow music/gear lovers! I seldom post on A'gon's forums, but when I run across a piece of gear or music that others should know about, I take a minute to share. For anyone looking for true full-range "all-rounders," try to locate a pair of the Focal 1037BE. Outstanding.

A prologue: My speaker odyssey has included (in no particular order) Audio Physic Scorpios (perhaps the best bang-for-the-buck around); Meadowlark Shearwater "Hot Rods" (oh Meadowlark, why did you have to leave us so soon...); Apogee Duetta II, Mk II Sigs (unbelievable within parameters); Yamaha NS 1000M ('nuff said); Wilson Benesch Trinity (find a pair and buy them if you can!); Von Schwikert VR-4 (the speaker that put Albert on the map, and for good reason!); Dynaudio X36; Dali Epicon 2 (overrated but good); AAD 2003 (a Phil Jones masterpiece; a true sleeper); KEF 104/4 (not a fan of the KEF sound), and Paradigm Studio 100 (yawn...), just to name a few.

The Focal 1037BE are perhaps the best all-rounders I have ever heard for under $35K or so, and I have heard a lot. That's a great deal of praise, and in some ways hard to support. I would say that perhaps the best speaker, dollar for dollar, bang for the buck, that I have ever heard goes to the Audio Physic Scorpio. What a "disappearing act" the Scorpios do! That said, the 1037BE disappear within a hair of the Scorpios, and are significantly more dynamic. Likewise, it is difficult to beat a well-wrought full-range driver, such as a well-integrated Lowther or the phenomenal 6.8" driver in the Wilson Benesch (used across most of their product range). Midrange is seldom that sweet and true, but once again, the 1037BE captures almost all of this midrange purity and adds a low end that is just as true. Then there is the immediacy and "startle factor" of the electrostatics and planars, such as the better ML, Magnepan and Apogee. While these speakers are memorable for their realism, the Focal again approach that level of "immediacy," while offering soundstaging and imaging that the "thin speakers" can't quite match.

I've got to say, I'm hard pressed to find anything in my price range that does so many things so well. Stereophile and AS did fine articles about them, but you never know where the review ends and the marketing begins. In this instance, I actually don't think that the 1037s haven't received enough audiophile press. While they are a bit pricey at $12,000.00, they really do offer everything you could ask for the price. Excellent fit'n'finish, 112 lbs. worth of cabinetry, and a seamlessness that is tough to find in multi-way, multi-driver "box" speakers. The integration of the 1037's 5 drivers that Focal has achieved is downright extraordinary. The Beryllium tweeters are all that the press has hyped them up to be; tremendous extension without being "bright" or shrill in the way that the famed NS1000 could sometimes be. The low frequencies are superbly rendered, with absolutely no "bloat" or overhand AT ALL. Among the best low-ends you'll find for less than the cost of a small house. The midrange is very good, while not outstanding. I suppose if the 1037BE had a world-beating midrange as well, they would be next-to-perfect. That speaker I have yet to find.

I had to share this wonderful transducer find. I'm not sure why Focal "downgraded" with the 1038BE, which appears identical from the exterior, but which doesn't quite match the 1037BE's performance. As Focal dropped the price the 1038BE $2K, I'm guessing (but do not know) that they utilized less-pricey crossover components than used in the 1037.

In sum, from one audio geek to another, these speakers stand out in a crowd of really good $5-$25,000.00 speakers. Hunt down a pair and enjoy!!

klipschking

Showing 1 response by chlv0ter

I've owned several pairs of Focal's over the years, pleased with all of them, including the last pair which were the 1037 BE's.  The most transparent and analytical speaker line I've ever heard or owned.  
The Berylium tweeter is arguably the best there is IMO.  I could not get the bass out of them I was looking for in a tower speaker w/o Subs but in the right room with the right gear not sure you could go wrong...