FM Acoustics fm155 preamp

The fm155 is the cheapest FM acoustics preamp and if hunted for, can be found for about $5k in the pre-owned market. The question is, is this entry level FM preamp worth considering ? Sometimes these big brands compromise too much in their entry level products ultimately leaving a lot to be desired. Hence my question on this entry level FM preamp.

Kindly advise.
pani

Showing 3 responses by charles1dad

Bvdiman,
I agree with your sentiments and perspectives. What's ideal for you may not be for me and the converse is true. I can't speak to the state of SET amplifiers in the 1990s. I can say that today there are excellent choices available with very appropriate matching speakers to choose from. One can enjoy top to bottom frequency performance and isn't limited to just a superb midrange. If the FM products have been the most satisfying in your home then there's no reason for you to look elsewhere. I'm glad you've reached your desired audio fulfillment and hope that Pani will obtain equal sucess with them as you have.
Charles,
Pani,
Following your various posts and threads for some time now. It's hard for
me to get a feel for what you want musically speaking. The Wavac/ Lamm
seemed an ideal choice for " natural" sound. Perhaps your
Tannoy speakers dictate another direction (not sure as you seemed very
happy with the Wavac SET presentation). FM Acoustics is a different sound
(based on my experience) but it just may be what you're seeking all along.
Ultimately we choose what suits us best and keeps us happy. If the FM
Acoustics meet this objective for you then congratulations and enjoy them
for many years. They could simply mate better with your speakers.

We're all different, that's for certain. In your position I'd have kept the
Lamm and Wavac and found a more compatible efficient speaker. My
decision isn't superior to yours, just different objectives based on our
individual taste. I don't personally believe that we have to accept or get use

to a different sound in the sense of "retraining" our ears, they sound different for a reason. Eventually listeners
discover what type of sound character they're most satisfied with. If you say

the two amplifiers sound very similar in your system I obviously accept that as what you
hear. That wasn't my impression when I've heard FM Acoustics in the past by
any means compared to a SET (very distinct contrast). I believe that a matching FM preamp would be the choice to
optimize the full potential of your amplifier.
Best regards,
Charles,
Hi Pani,
That explains a lot and I see your situation very clearly now. Your have two superb amplifiers confirmed by your listening standards and that's not a bad position to be in. It appears to me that given your needs, the FM amplifier is the one for you. You want to get the most from your speaker specifically and ultimately your system. Why settle for an amplifier that requires limits on what you listen to? If the Tannoy needs more amplifier power in your opinion then give it to them.

My situation is different in that my 8 watt SET imposes no limits of music genre and what I choose to listen to. All that means is that my speaker is easier to drive than yours (14 ohm load and very simple 1st order crossover) and we likely have different listening needs/environment. I still have a 100 watt and a 40 watt push pull amplifiers but the SET retired both of them. That's my outcome, it's very individual and subjective. For long term happiness you must select what pleases you more and we both have learned to recognize this. Based on your description the FM amplifier sounds to be the right choice for you. Pani your choice was do I keep the excellent amplifier or the excellent speaker and you chose the latter. You can't go wrong either way.
Regards,
Charles,