Flash report from 2009 T.H.E. Show

Attended opening day with a friend.
Weather was perfection (60 degrees, sunny, no wind).
Very light attendance (plenty of elbow room, easy to stroll around the beautiful Alexis Park courtyard).
Actually had free parking on the resort grounds!

Best of show (IMHO)

Evolution Acoustics MM Mini-Two powered by Dartzeel integrated.

Show Highlights

-Harbeth Monitor 40.1
-Magnaplanar Demo (Their new speakers will blow your mind while rocking your world!)
-"Live or Memorex" (DSD recording VS live piano)
-Absolutely the largest collection of LPs and CDs I've ever seen! Acoustic sounds, MusicDirect (Mobile Fidelity), Reference Recordings -Mind boggling!

There were many great speakers new to me that really excelled. Brodmann, Analysis Audio (Apogee-like planars), Teresonic (Awsome Lowther based), Studio Electric and the Neeper "Perfection One".

A day well spent...

128x128dweller

Showing 4 responses by dweller

The "Magic Show" had about 15 seats in a large dark room.
A backlit white scrim concealed the speaker's "secret identity".
Various types of music were played including: Choral, Jazz and a wicked drum solo - all at healhy SPLs.

The transducers revealed were about the size of a large magazine (12 X 16 X 2) with a "True Ribbon Tweeter" and the usual planar technology for the rest (could have been a ribbon also).

These mighty mites were driven by Bryston 28B monoblocks (1kw/channel).

There was also a matching Woofer module (not sub-woofer) the size of a large center-channel speaker placed on the floor.

Mr. Magnaplanar (sorry, I don't know his name) was polling for price guestimates (no firm price was given).

We were sworn to secrecy before departing.
I didn't hear anyone venture an estimate.
I'd peg the price for the mid-tweet panels at around $1500/pr.
The woofer module probably also around $1500.

These are perfect for my Home Theater needs.

It would be swell if they are cheaper!
The Neeper speakers feature an asymetrical (and beautiful) enclosure and and aluminum faceplate.
They sounded very open and dynamic with a wide soundstage.
The generate solid bass from the drivers used (two of the midrange drivers found in the Wilson Sophia).

Price is $20,000 - $22,000 (piano black).