FLAC vs WAV

I have observed (heard and then tested so as to confirm) the following “condition” as it relates to the widely debated issue of FLAC quality. The purpose of this topic is to gather opinions as to whether or not your observations are similar too – and therefore support – my own.

It is widely understood and accepted that a FLAC file while “compressed” is “lossless” as compared to its corresponding WAV file. Let’s assume (i.e. not debate) this is completely true. What I am noticing is that when the FLAC file is “played” via any FLAC player it sounds different from the sound of the “same” (equivalent decompressed FLAC) WAV file when played back via the same player that was used to play the FLAC file. This is specifically noticeable (to me) in the low frequency spectrum. The WAV has considerably more “sonic energy” that manifests itself as appearing to be a bit louder, wider in frequency range and perhaps even dynamic range as compared to the FLAC equivalent.

I’m curious as to your findings when you compare a FLAC file played natively as compared to the WAV equivalent played via the same player (for example, play both the FLAC and WAV via VLC media player) or practical equivalent, such as if the FLAC was burned to CD and you are comparing the FLAC played via VLC and the CD played via a CD player.

I am further assuming that the WAV file is a more accurate representation of the audio than the FLAC. This is to say that should you agree with the aforementioned, it would be preferable to play the WAV file or decompress the FLAC file before using it.

128x128gdhal
FLAC vs. WAV....

Dear boys and girls, I actually use my Mac to create CD’s for my car, and guess what?

When you burn a CD the format is always the same. Whether the source is WAV or FLAC, or APPLE Lossless. CD only uses one format...

So, I now have a CD created by Lossless, and a CD created by WAV...

Guess what...the CD created by WAV sounds better than the CD created by Lossless.

Keep in mind, the I created the WAV file directly from the Lossless file....interesting...

I hear a deeper sound, particularly during the quiet passages, there just seems to be a presence on CD created by a WAV file compared to a CD created by a Lossless file.

Keep in mind, I can’t imagine there is a big difference between Apple Lossless and a Flac file...both compressed are supposed to insure data has not been loss.

So effectively, I have taken the whole processing out of the equation.   You can take the two CD's anywhere and hear the difference.

That is my experience.....I won’t even begin to discuss HD Audio, but I will say, I love all my music being digital and in a lossless format...   

;-) Nipper1954

@nipper1954

Seriously? There are a few inaccuracies in your post. But I too love all my music being digital and in a lossless format. :)
FLAC vs. WAV   (2nd post)

Giving it some more thought, in response to my first post, all my digital files are saved in FLAC or Apple Lossless...   I don't use WAV format on my digital music server.

More important of course is the quality of the studio recording and the mix.  

I don't hear any significant differences between the two, FLAC or Apple Lossless,  when using my music server at home, and I enjoy them both tremendously.    

At my age, most of the music I listen to is from Dead people.....same for my movies...  LOL   (baby boomer)

The differences I heard with WAV strictly have to do with burning CD's and using CD's, and who uses CD's anymore.  I do, I use them all the time in my car, because I enjoy the convenience, you can use a CD in almost any car.

I just can't stand MP3 files in the car on a flash drive, and it appears each manufacturer have their own rules for using flash drives.   It took me quite awhile to figure out why my iTunes files weren't working on my Kenwood Car Stereo when I created my first flash drive.

Nobody told me, but when I looked at the file structure and how music files are transferred onto a flash drive on a MAC, bingo, I discovered the problem.

;-) nipper1954