flabbergasted with reviews on speakers

I read speaker reviews  as i think they are the personal end of the signal i hear alibiet the source what i think is most important. They are terrible.They give no room size they are listening in.treated or not and what room size they recommend is important. sguare foot please.Ihave purchased speakers to big for my room and now buy down a size from what they say.They audition speakers that from my videos on you tube are placed stacked  against there racks or pushed against wall and cluttered amongs other stereo equipment in a small room i get it .i have been to persons small farm house that had an infiniti stack with 334 levinson monoblocks who bought this on review this was in a 10 x 12 bedroom and was a respected audiogoner! I think we are oversold in this hobby i miss dealers but they have not heard it all review suck look at there rooms they are pathetic.Are speaker sensitivity real or is it to sell more expensive amps.If  first watt is most important why isnt 50 watt tbr  amp enough for an 87 db speaker.

slick2

MOABs from what I hear, have electrolytic capacitors in the crossover.

A complete travesty if you ask me.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What do they have MC? You swapped yours out. Did they have electrolytics in the XO?

If they did, so did 90,000.00 Infinity IRS Vs or Beta, or Gammas. Yea they ALL sounded horrible for over 40 years..

What is wrong with electrolytics? Your gear is full of them? So is your house for that matter. Go look at your fancy thermostat or your remote control.

Filter CAPS? I guess I missed something.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Lazy engineering required more power. 

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It's usually not the engineer, it's usually the accounting department. Bean counters have destroyed more great products and their reputations than any other thing on earth. It's true "The Love of money is the root to all evil". Money's fine, counting it too often, leads to some costly mistakes.

Bean counters that can't count. The US Congress.

Merry Christmas

Regards

@slick2 , It sounds like you got up on the wrong side of bed this morning. More so than any market I know of the audio market is consumer beware. 

You have to learn what you like and why. Experience will lead you to the best speaker for you not some reviewer.  Very few dealers have dedicated rooms for their systems where you can get a reasonable idea what the speaker is capable of.  I don't even read them. At some point you just have to jump in. 

Looking at my own experience, it took me 20 years and 6 different pair of speakers to figure out what I liked. Then another 20 years perfecting that approach. This is what the hobby is about. If you don't want to be bothered with it just get one of those package systems from Best Buy.

IME, it's true both that speaker sensitivity  matters, and that manufacturers sometimes (frequently?) misleadingly exaggerate it. If you can't try a prospective speaker with your amp, at least gather as much testimony as you can as to whether amps similar to yours can drive it.

As for the other sense of sensitivity, I quite like my speakers, and only say nice things about them.  This approach has "dramatic" positive effect on their performance!

“ Speaker sensitivity is real. My Moabs are so sensitive if someone even hints they aren't the best speaker ever I go into a deep inconsolable sulk for the rest of the day. “

FTFY

I don't own focal speakers but I do appreciate that in their website the tell the consumer what size room each model in a line the speaker is designed for. Sensitivity ratings alone aren't enough because like russ69 said impedance will affect the way an amp controls the output and possibly color the sound.