First time for this, opinions please.

Greetings,
I have been buying and selling on A'Gon fo almost 4 years, over 160 transactions. Not a hitch until a local transaction yesterday. I sold a CD player (Rega Jupiter) to a member who lives in my city, so no shipping involved. He came over to my house, listened to player, liked it, bought it and took it home. Later that afternoon he called and said CD player would not power up. Strange as it worked for him for awhile until he changed powercords. After some discussion of checking this or that, it was determined that powercord was changed while on/off switch was still on. At this point I said there's the problem, switching powercords with power still on likely blew a fuse or some other trip device. He did not totally agree, but said it must be an explanation. At this point I must add, said member does not hold me responsible in any way. He was just seeking my advice as to whether I have ever had any trouble of this sort.
My question is twofold:
1. Do you think changing powercords while player is powered up could cause this (I do).
2. Do you think I have any obligation to help at this point? Once again, buyer is not holding me responsible, but I have been worried about this all night. I really feel bad , as this is not a small purchase for him.
Thanks in advance,
Dan
Ag insider logo xs@2xmuzikat

Showing 2 responses by ellery911

It's nice to know there are people like you in our community...most of us are good people...you just put the words to it. Thanks for sharing...it's so nice to hear stories like this rather than reading about something in the disputes forum.
I know nothing about the reason that this could happen, but I think that it is very honorable for you to show sympathy for the buyer. I know that I would feel bad...(but not necessarily guilty)...and would assist the person in getting the repairs done...how much your financial contribution is to resolving the matter is something that you have to decide. If the repairs weren't very expensive, I would probably offer to split the cost...but once again...the cost of repairs to audio gear is something of which I know even less than the cause of the problem. If the repairs were very expensive I might offer a little "sympathy" cash subsidization...but taking full responsibility on your shoulders?...I don't think you need to go that far.

just my 2c

Ellery