First Test for tube bias on ARC Ref 110?

When is the appropriate time to first test biasing on the ARC Ref 110?
This is my first experience with a ARC amplifier and I have read that power tubes typically drift most in the early stages. What is meant by early stages? Any recommedations are appreciated. It has only just under 49 hours of use thus far, so far from even broken in yet...
bavarian05

Showing 2 responses by lostbears

It really depends a lot on where you got your new tubes and how well they were matched. That said, I test the bias a couple hours after replacing the tubes. Then about every 25 hours for the first 100 hours or so. The tubes will usually drift as they break in. How much they will drift really depends on how they were matched. Tubes that were purchased from ARC will probably drift a lot less than tubes from Joe's Guitar store.

I would check the tubes to see if they have drifted a bit. Then I would check them maybe around a hundred hours.

I also own a Ref 110 but I don't use ARC tubes. ARC burns their tubes in a bit before they are matched. This tends to make the matches much better than tubes that are factory matched. The Ref 110 is an excellent amp. I have owned mine for a few years now and it never ceases to amaze me.