First investment into a turntable

Hello friends,

As I slowly make my way into collecting some vintage audio components, its time to target a turntable. I have never owned a turntable worth mentioning, but I've collected hundreds of albums. Its time to give the vinyl the sonic justice it deserves. I know now more than ever that every component ever made can be reviewed subjectively. So let me profile my desires, so that you may be able to help me find 1 or maybe 2 turntables that can sit at the top of my growing system.
Currently, I own a Sansui G-6000 receiver. I would love to find a TT in the $200-300 range that would complement the receiver and produce beautiful sound. I am partial to vintage, but would mildly consider modern.
Thank you all in advance for your responses. This is an incredible resource of wonderful people.
Thank you,
Marty
martygto
Set-up is very important and very under-rated. A well-set-up budget TT can outperform a poorly set-up unit at 10x the price. So you might want to buy from a local, maybe a dealer, who can do proper set-up.

One more word: there are lots of people who think they can set-up a TT who really can't.
Set-up is very important and very under-rated. A well-set-up budget TT can outperform a poorly set-up unit at 10x the price. So you might want to buy from a local, maybe a dealer, who can do proper set-up.

One more word: there are lots of people who think they can set-up a TT who really can't.
+1
Some more advice, once you've got that TT set up don't neglect to consider further investment in accessories to clean that vinyl you've been accumulating as well as a good carbon fiber record brush.

Anti-static treatments are also a must, I use a Milty anti-static gun, you can pick one up for less than 100$.  There are other solutions but the Milty is reliable and one of the least expensive.

Finally, get a tonearm stylus brush or something like an Onzow to clean your needle.  It's disconcerting at first how much gunk can get picked up from even the cleanest seeming vinyl.

Onzow is a glob of soft sticky plastic that does a pretty good job of cleaning the stylus without putting too much pressure on the stylus.  
The new AR belt-drive table re-introduced in the mid-eighties would be nice to find, if you can find one. Sam Tellig (Sam's Space in Stereophile) loved it and recommended it as a poor-man's LP-12. I bought one, loved it, kept it a decade. 
Great suggestion tomcarr, though I doubt one can be had for the op’s $200-$300 target price. I too had one, fitted with a Rega RB300. Replaced that with a VPI HW-19, a very different table.