First foray into separate 2-channel amp, 200wpc

Hi, I am thinking of purchasing my first powerful 2-channel amp, to use with my Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver. This is kind of an experiment, so I don't want to spend a fortune. I need to see if a powerful amp will take better control than the Yamaha of my Monitor Audio Silver 9i speakers I just picked up. I am thinking of a minimum of 200 watts/channel. I am looking at spending up to around $500. I will probably want to find something used here on Agon.

So far, I am most drawn to an Adcom GFA 5500 here on Agon, although I am aware there are many other brands in that level of amp. I am aware of Emotiva, and wonder if anybody feels a new or newish Emotiva will be better in any significant way than the 5500. This will need to be a good performer on both music and movies.

Or, since the Yamaha is fairly powerful for a receiver, is there a likelihood that the Adcom of something similar will not make a detectable improvement?

Any other suggestions? Thanks.
mtrot

Showing 2 responses by driver

2nd the B&K. Very good sound for not much $$$

That plus an inexpensive passive will come in at or below budget.

Also, don't think in terms of watts=better sound quality. Better gear=better sound.
Again, don't get caught up in the watts game. I've had amps that were rated 100 watts & less that were better sonically than bigger pieces. Unfortunately, they are not in your budget, however, they are not out of reach either.

My suggestion is to go to the search feature on the home page and search by price range in the amp category. You can stick to your budget & get a good idea of what's out there. Of course, it may take a few tries to get it right but I don't think you can go wrong if you do your homework.

As for house sounds, the B&K is on the warm side of neutral. The older Adcom's are not as refined & tend to be somewhat grainy. I haven't heard any newer Adcom stuff in a long time so will withhold comment on these. The Bryston ST series does have excellent bass control but is more on the analytical side.

That's it in a nutshell.