Fireworks in an Audio Research VT200

I turned on my amp the other day and as it was cycling through the start up process, I heard a large pop and then an enormous fireball flew out of the top of it. I immediately unplugged the amp. After taking all the tubes out and visually inspecting everything, I concluded that no tubes were blown. I put it all back together and it sounds great and I have had no problems since. The bias is fine.

Has anybody had experience with this sort of thing?
jmcdermott

Showing 1 response by semi

From the above posts, sounded like no speakers were damaged in any incidences. I have heard drawback of ARC amp - using one pot to bias 4 or more tubes leaving one tube to work much harder than others. Other brand, like Jadis or Sonic Frontiers, give each tube individual trim pot to bias the tube and consequently reduce load differences. Not sure how true this statement is.

So the 6C33 in BAT/Tenor also arc easily like 6550? I would think if it is good enough to be in a Russian Mig, it should be build like a tank. I ask because I now own VK-150, would like to keep my house and speakers intact. What can user do to prevent arcing short of changing tubes every other week?