Finally stepping into the hobby after 30 years of watching from the sidelines

Ok, so I hope you are all ok with a longwinded post from a first time user of the forum.  I have been obsessed with vinyl and tubes since my dad played records for me as a 5 year old.  My wife and I are finally in a place that we can take the leap into the scene.  We want to grow our system over time and may even create 2-3 systems along the way as we have a bed and breakfast where we want to make analog part of the theme. 

We have made up our mind that our first speakers will be Vandersteen 2CE sigs.  That is about as far as we have gotten.  We definitely want to power them with tubes and have very little idea of where to start.  Obviously the mainstream option would be a Mcintosh mc275 and our local HiFi salesman would LOVE to sell us a pair of those.  However, we know that there are several cheeper/better options out there and would love some input from the board.  We'd like to keep the first amp under $3,000, but we aren't locked into that.  Keep in mind that we are ok starting with a single amp and then adding a second one along the way to mono them.  Also, we would love some help with a table/arm/cartridge!  One with an integrated phono stage is fine to start with and we would again be open to upgrading and adding a stand alone phono stage later on.  

We will be doing some electrical work soon to run a 40 amp fuse to the BnBs espresso machine and would be open to setting up a dedicated line for our main system at that time so that we can have clean power.  Has any one had any experience with this?  Any ideas or recommendations that you may have would be a big help here! 

Thank you all in advance, and we are really excited to finally be part of the scene! 
128x128cottguy
I'll just mention another brand that might be of interest to you - Allnic.
They have three integrated amps including one 12.5 watt/ch 300B SET. No phono, as I understand, but I may be wrong, maybe they have an optional one. The suggested retail is $6.9k which might be over what you are planning to spend, but you could probably get something off this figure. I am not familiar with it, just know that this Korean company has a high reputation among some in the know.
Tube sound has quite a range, you just have to clearly understand your preference. You might actually like both VAC and Allnic, in addition to others. 
I said it once somewhere here on the forum but I think it would be relevant to repeat. In my opinion, the single biggest mistake in choosing the components is to spend less than needed. I myself made this mistake couple of times. And the second biggest mistake is to spend more than needed. I never made this kind of mistake, as far as I know.
cottguy, similiar to teh comment made by Inna re Atmasphere, suggest contacting Jeff Halpern at Tone Imports (US distributor) and/or Taylor at Goldprint Audio about after sale Line Magnetic support
Interesting discussion.
Two flags went off early on both based on your room dimensions. First in the sheer size of the room, and second, the dimensions that are multiples of another dimension, 20x40x11.  One dimension being a multiple of another usually is a cause for compounding room modes.

GIK will be located in the lobby. I would bring a drawing of the room and layout and talk to them first.
Enjoy the show and do try to zero in on a total budget here.  Also, try to zero in on which tube sound that you like.  For me, there were 2 significant events, shows that I attended which allowed me to listen to many different amps and figure all of that out.

Around the year 2000, I went to a Single Ended Symposium put on by Stereophile magazine here in Philadelphia.  Prior to that I'd never heard SE amps and at this time they had returned in popularity.  That day I heard SET amps from Dennis Had of Cary, David Berning, Audio Note, Don Garber of FI, and several other brands.  I heard 845s, 211s, 300B's and 2A3's.  We listened thru 104 db horn speakers, a CAT preamp, Goertz spkr wire and IC's and Sony's new Super CD player or whatever was the new top of the line in CD technology.  At the end of the day, the least expensive, smallest powered amp, the 3 wpc, FI 2A3 monoblocks were clearly the best sounding amp in the room.  The highest powered amps, the 845's sounded worst - although they were all excellent and I could be happy with all of them, but the 2A3 sounded best to my ears and many others in the room.  There were several writers, equipment reviewers in the room from Stereophile, TAS, and Listener magazine.  The room was quite large, 40x40 perhaps and 3 wpc filled the room.

Years later, I went to the Vacuum Tube Valley show in Central NJ and heard push pull amps using KT88's, EL34's, 6BQ5's, KT66's and 6BG4's.  Again, the best, to me, was the lowest powered amps, the 6BQ5/EL84 revision of the Dyna MKII (18 wpc), and a modded Dyna Stereo 70 which used 6BG4's in PP triode for 12 wpc.  

I also got to hear Single Ended Triode amps, one Italian int amp in particular that could operate using 2A3's, 45's, 10's, 300B's, and 50's with the turn of a dial.  Each produced a slightly different sonic signature and I concluded again that the lowest powered combination sounded best to my ears.

I also heard digital amps, and digital amps with tube preamps and they were also very very good.  A little bit sterile, but the tube preamp warmed them up.  

If you are looking at very high efficiency speakers, above 100 db, then the ultra low SET amps would work fine.  

I also heard high efficiency single driver speakers from Omega, Lowther and others.  The Lowthers I was not a fan of....

As for the Atma-sphere brand you mentioned, I believe it is probably very expensive.  A couple of years ago, I picked up an Antique Sound Labs MG-Si15DT for about $400 which runs KT88's in SE pentode and SE triode for 15/5 wpc respectively.  I was always curious to hear a KT88 in SE, since I really wasn't a fan of it in PP.  It was a great sounding int amp for not much money.  ASL also makes a 2A3 amp the Tulip which supposed to be very good as well.  Its not a current model, but you might be able to find one used.....That's if you like high efficiency speakers

So, see what you like most, see which tube type and topology you like best be it PP or SE.  I never owned or heard an OTL amp, but to me, they are not very practical.  They take lots of tubes, they must draw lots of heat and electricity and could be a real hassle.  I want something that will run tubes conservatively and will get lots of life from the tube.  

I think that a 6BQ5/EL84 based amp whether in PP or SE is a great place to start.  It's a great sounding tube and is inexpensive to re-tube.  It doesn't give you quite the coolness of a coke bottle styled 2A3 tube but it also way less expensive as well......A long time ago, I had an early Jeff Korneff 6BQ5 SE pentode int amp that was 5 wpc

If you like the low powered SET w/hi efficiency speakers combination, you couldn't do much better than a Korneff 45 if you can find one or a 2A3 amp, IMHO.  You can pick up a Korneff in the $1500-2K range

For way less than the price of some of the amps listed above, I could put together an incredible sounding system that could hold its own with gear costing 1000's more......enjoy the show, looking forward to hearing your comments when you return....
well, day 1 at RMAF is in the books.  Although I'm probably going back tonight to hang with the Zu crew and listen to some more vinyl.  I have to admit, I was both impressed and disappointed in my first day.  I listened to $200,000+ systems that were terrible (in my opinion) and some $6,000 systems that absolutely blew me away.  The biggest lesson I learned was that price does NOT equal quality in the audio world.  I also listened to some PHENOMINAL flagship systems.     

So far my 3 favorite rooms were:

#3 VAC with Harbeth 40.2s The speakers completely disappeared in this room.  I found myself staring at the wall above the amp because that's where the guitar and vocals were coming from.  You could literally hear where every instrument in the band was.  If I had the funds/listening room set up, I would be extremely drawn to this set up.  

#2 Vincent Audio Sp-T700s paired with Ryan R620s.  This was honestly every bit as good as the VAC room, except on a smaller scale.  The speakers disappeared completely, were dynamic and warm.  Again, with the right living situation, I would definitely be a potential customer here.  

#1 Zu Audio.  I went into the show expecting/hoping for good things from Zu and I was blown away.  They were paired with Peachtree audio, so not my ideal tube set up, but they still sounded phenominal.  The soul supremes were in a very large room and they still sounded dynamic, had zero listening fatigue, were extremely warm...basically all of the things I'm looking for in my price range.  They definitely perform way above their price range and everyone that was in their room (which was a lot) couldn't believe how good they were for the price.  I'd say that Zu is a company that people need to take note of.    

Honorable Mention was Natural Sound Speakers and the Pass Labs rooms.  They were so far out of my price range, I couldn't justify putting them in my top 3, but WOW!  There was also an importer from Colorado that had the best set up I heard, but I can't remember the companies as i didn't take the literature.  Hands down the best system at the show.  But again, I'd have to win the lottery to even consider a system like that.

I'll try to do another write up tomorrow night.