Finally Settled on a Preamp—Don Sachs Model 2 Custom Linestage

I took delivery a couple months ago of Don Sachs’s Model 2 6SN7 custom line stage preamp. It’s his latest iteration with an OLED display and 64 step Khozmo attenuator with input relay switching. There are no channel level attenuators. I had Don put in WE6SN7 tubes, and a pair of Mindoro 2.2 uF silver oil capacitors on the second output for flexibility with a possible SS amp in the future. The pre is simply marvelous. I have tried quite a number of preamps in the last few years. Some of you might remember my original post on the topic: https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/tube-preamp-recommendations-3?page=2. Don’s pre beats everything I’ve tried. I’m not an audiophile reviewer by any means, but to my ear, it has an enormous soundstage, and is extremely detailed, extended, and dynamic. Sometimes I leave my living room and it just sounds like there are musicians playing in the other room. The level of detail at times can almost be startling. 

I paired it with Don’s Kootenay 120 KT88 power amplifier, which I purchased from another Audiogon member. The amp now has Don’s latest caps and WEKT88 tubes. Both pieces have a synergy that creates a very musical sound that I can listen to for hours without fatigue with my ProAc Response Two S speakers.

Some praise for the man is in order. Don is very responsive and has gone out of his way to help me with related and completely unrelated projects to get my system sounding the best it ever has. He’s a nice, genuine guy to boot.

I’d upload some photographs of my system and Don’s pre and amp, but it appears that I can’t do that on a forum post; someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

Cheers,

Rob

robert1234
@robert1234 It would be nice if you could list the other preamps you've tried here in this thread for ease of reference... most readers will be curious.  Thanks and glad you're loving the pre.  I love mine too.
I am in the que with Don for the model 2.  I am in Alberta and nice to know he is just a province over in BC. Dealing with Don has been great. I sold a Primaluna Dialoge Premium HP integrated to try SS power and a tube pre amp. I wanted to use the 6SN7 tube and my searching lead me to this pre. The current power amp is a Parasound A21+ and Don suggested some cap changes so looking forward to getting my hands on this. I will report back in the new year with my thoughts. If anyone is a local Edmonton owner of any of Dons gear please send me a PM be great to have a listen.
I’ve had a Don Sachs Model 1 since 2017. I recently had it updated to the 6BY5 rectifier. 
I’m very happy with it.
don’s pre is one of the best, in absolute terms as well as in terms of value

tube rollin’ new and old 6sn7 types is fun too!  ' lush honey colored' or 'clear as a whistle' on demand!!!

congrats and enjoy
Second the tube rolling.  I have had my DS2 for about a month now. I transitioned to SS power amp with tube pre from a 300b power amp. Nice to have some watts.  Caps are cooked now. Not sure why Don likes those Chinese tubes so much though.  One of mine failed so I picked up some chrome dome Sylvanias (late 50's) and man the the difference is amazing. So much more holographic.  Based on Andy's recommendation at Vintage Tube Services, I am going to try the 50's RCA's. He recommended them for sweet mid's and musicality.  The Syulavanias are a bit bright and bass shy in my system. Amazing detail though. Anyway, if you have DS2, try some NOS tubes.