Finally saved 3000 what is a good setup.

After year trolling this website and saving I have finally earned 3K to spend on a system. Currently I am using some old Sony studio speakers my friend gave a few years back but now its time for a change. I am firmly in the digital camp and have been using a Squeezebox for the last few years and have transferred much of my collection onto a hard drive. What I need advice how to split 3000 between a set of speakers and an integrated amp or power amp (my setup now and use the digital volume on the SB).

To help with suggestion, my living room in going to be my main setup. The room is 18 X 14 X 10 with carpeted floors. I have room to spread these puppies at most 8 - 10 feet apart. I don't care if their monitors or floor standers but cannot be panel. I am married and my wife, who is also into music, would not like something that will dominate the household.

Heres a little about me. I am a studio musician and teacher by trade. In addition, I listen to all types of music, considering I am exposed to so much different types of music at the studio, and regularly go to live concerts to see a wide variety of music. As such, my idea deal speaker is true to the source without adding too much, makes me feel like I am actually one of those live concerts, is realistic, and just disappear. I know for many bass is key but I like honest bass not the exaggerated bass that so many speakers produce IMO.

So what you think. What would be a good combination?
aldres

Showing 1 response by martykl

One more idea for a digital-centric system:

HK 990 Integrated Amp (with full digital bass management): $1600 (new, available on e-bay)
Magnepan MMG Planar Speakers $ 600 (new, direct from Maggie)

The remaining $800 goes to a subwoofer and source as you see fit.

Given a decent digital signal and a good sub, this will be a killer system. The HK will provide room analysis and EQ, it will cross the MMGs seamlessly to the woofers in the digital domain, it includes a pretty high quality DAC, and it has a quality power amp section that provides 150WPC. This will do complete justice to the MMGs, which are ridiculously good performers for their price tag - but present a dilemna in that they require a fair bit of quality grunt from a power amp. This will often (tho not always) result in a higher priced system than your stated budget. Since the MMGs lose steam in the +/- 50hz region, adding a subwoofer (which can be tricky for a planar design) to extend the bottom end further boosts the system asking price. However, the HK is (AFAIK) a unique (I don't use that word often in describing audio equipment) 2.2 channel solution to these problems. You might want to check out Kr4's recent review of the unit in Stereophile to get a full appreciation of the design.

The HK also has a few other nice qualities. It has dual sub outputs, so you can add a second sub down the road if you need/want. It also includes a built-in phono section and (I believe) the ability to bypass all the digital processing and send your "pure" analog (or digital, for that matter) signal to the MMGs (without the subs) if you need or want that functionality. However, this isn't a set-up designed to optimize analog performance for the $.

If you find the right subwoofer (A new 12" Rythmik - sold direct by Rythmik - will eat up the last $800, but it might be worth it if you already have a computer that you can use as your source), this solution allows seamless integration of the bottom 1 1/2 octaves to properly powered MMGs at under $3K. I've used a similar set-up with an Onkyo pre-pro and dual Rythmik 12" subs fed by a dedicated server and preferred that set-up to other, more traditional audiophile systems that I've owned at five times the cost.

Another benefit - the MMG and Rythmik are sold direct with in-home, money back privileges.

I'm sure that there are many good choices out there, and most will employ a more traditional audiophile's "minimalist" approach, but this is the way I'd go.

Good Luck.

Marty