Fidelity Research FR-64x

Fidelity Research FR-64x.....(with silver wire ).  Is this arm still considered  viable today ?

offnon57
Dear @dover : """ Copper mat on aluminium platter dampens the aluminium. """

and how damps the copper surface where the LP is seated?

R.
Dear @chakster : " I use Stevenson by default with several tonearms, no problem with that. "

I don’t know what you mean with no problem with that/Stevenson.

Always is a real problem to align any tonearm with Stevenson A choice and the problem is that even if you can’t detected or if you are quite satisfied with Stevenson A alignment is the alignment choice with the higher distortion levels that the other standard alignments ( and by a wide margins. ): Löfgren A or B all over the LP surface but the last 3mm of the inner most IEC groove standard distance that normally comes with out recorded grooves.
Makes no sense to use Stevenson A: higher distortions all over the LP surface in favor of WHAT.

FR alignment specs comes for Stevenson A alignment and Mr. Ikeda as other Japanese brands that use Stevenson A are plain wrong. They have no idea about, they just did not understand how theose different alignment choices works. High ignorance level in this regards.

But those Germans are not only ignorant but stupid too when said that Löfgren A alignment for 246 effective length the P2S distance is 231.5mm. Totally wrong, it’s not.

If we want Löfgren A alignment in a FR tonearm using the FR effective length 245 spec then the P2S distance must be: 228.137mm , overhang : 16.863mm with an offset angle: 22.421°

But we can make Löfgren A calculations for a little longer effective length, say 247mm. This little change improves/lower the distortion levels.

Of course your Feickert protractor is rigth, no problem with. Dr. F. is not a stupid gentleman as other ignorants.

@mulveling , you can choose the P2S distance is convenient in your TT that permits the cartridge stylus to achieve the Löfgren A alignment.
If you choose 247mm for the FR effective length then the Löfgren A/Baerwald gives you a P2S distance of: 230.283mm with 16.717mm on overhang and  22.23° on offset angle.

That is a way way better alignment than the Stevenson A choice or the ignorant " germans ".

You only has to send Yip MINT LP that build the Löfgren A/Baerwald protractor for that P2S distance and the TT spindle diameter measure.

Avoid to use FR/Orsonic/or the like headshells and you can improve that tonearm / cartridge sounds quality levels not only with that kind of alignment but re-wiring the internal tonearm cable and setting up the VTF in static way to avoid the ringing mechanism in that FR balanced design.

@chakster this last sentence is one of the advantages in the GST 801 over almost all the balanced tonearm designs but the MS. You left go a way superior tonearm in favor of your " new kid " FR. Well, I know that you are a seller too. Good.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.
@mulveling I have tried three different headshells with my Koetsu RSP and FR-64S (copper). Yamamoto HS-4 (carbon), Yamamoto HS-6 (titanium) and Ortofon LH-8000.  Of the three, I like the Ortofon the best in my system.  It has the right balance of detail without brightness, midrange beauty and bass extension. I use PASS XP-15/XP-10/XA30.5. 
I know that the RSP is different than the stone Koetsu (which I would love to hear!) but maybe you should give the Ortofon a try?

-Karl
@rauliruegas i like this italic font you're using 

You left go a way superior tonearm in favor of your " new kid " FR. Well, I know that you are a seller too. Good. A seller of what? My own cartridges and stuff in upgrading process? As much as you and others.  

My Lustre goes to an old friend in the neighbourhood, i'm very positive about FR64fx with FR-7f, can't do anything about it. 

Makes no sense to use Stevenson A: higher distortions all over the LP surface in favor of WHAT.

If favor of "7 inch records as one of the reason, they are much smaller than "12 inch, and all musical information located as close to the spingle as the last track on LP surface. Less distortion in this particular area is more important than in the area outide of the '7 inch circle. But Stevenson was more concerned about classical music where crescendos moment (the most complex passages) located towards the inner side of the record. It's here in theory paragraph

If we want Löfgren A alignment in a FR tonearm using the FR effective length 245 spec then the P2S distance must be: 228.137mm , overhang : 16.863mm with an offset angle: 22.421°

@nandric correct, i trust my eyes, you should try feickert 
First points of loefgren and baerwald are so close to each other, so roughly 228 +/- is pivot to spindle distance if we don't use stevenson method.