Fidelity Research 64s vs Jelco SA-750e

Currently I have a Jelco SA-750e (10 inch) arm on a Sota Star Sapphire with a Koetsu Rosewood Signature. This runs to an EAR 834p, Thor TA-1000 pre, Quicksilver v4 monos, and Verity Audio Parsifal Encores. The sound is very good now, but I wonder if I could decrease record/surface noise and increase bass and dynamics with a better tonearm.

Obviously the Fidelity Research 64s is better than the Jelco, but can anyone offer opinions about what kind of differences I might hear and the magnitude of difference, if I change the Jelco for the FR? Trying to decide if it is worth the extra $1300 or so to upgrade.

Thanks everyone!

montaldo

Showing 2 responses by chakster

The FR-64s without B-60 base (vta of the fly) is not so good.
I have’t tried the N-60 stabilizer

But 64fx is good as it is, becase the arm base of the 64fx is much better than the arm base of the 64s.

So for the 64s you need the B-60 base which is optional and very expensive.
With 64fx you need nothing, but the right counterweight (heavy counterweight W-250 is optional and very rare!) 

@noromance 

The 64 is not a 66. Legacy reviews say the 64 is a little lacking in top end detail. The 850 is crystalline clear.

This review is from 2010 and a plain BS in my opinion. The reviewer more concerned about awful SPU cartridges (the reason why he can;t get crystalline clear quality), but the FR tonearm must be used with FR-7fz cartridge and it's mind blowing experience. The reviewer prefer Thomas Schick tonearm which i oaned with various SPU cartridges and it's nothing special. The FR-64s or 64fx are much better tonearms than Thomas Schick handmade arms. And i believe the Koetsu cartrige is much better than SPU. So the reviewers opinion doesn't matter. 

I wouldn't compare Jelco to the Fidelity-Research 64s.