Feedback through turntable

My system consists of a McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC452 amp, MCD500 SACD player, VPI Aries 3D with Ortofon Cadenza MC cartridge, Manley ChinookSE phono stage, PS Audio P5, Sonus faber Cremona Auditor M speakers and REL B1 Sub bass system.  My issue is with turntable use only; SACD has no issues.  On my pre when volume is +55 (peak at 45watts) I start to get feedback through the turntable - a sort of low freq sound, back off volume and it goes away.  My Auditor M speaker is about 3 ft away and in front of turntable.  I do have a rumble filter (KAB) installed between preamp and phonostage to help with sub woofer pumping.  Due to room layout I cannot rearrange the setup/move turntable.  My turntable is on a 2.5" block of wood and that sits on 4 isolation blocks via spiked feet.  Any thoughts how I can eliminate this problem?  Harry Weisfeld with VPI states he has 4 15" woofers (JBL Everest) near his Prime Signature setup with no issues at all.  Why am I having this problem and how can I eliminate it?  Thank you in advance for all feedback.
miner42

Showing 4 responses by ct0517

I feel the problem is airborne.

not likely

have you performed the audiophile dance yet to vet placement ?

in order to give recommendations we need to know what your floor is and how it is supported.  Wood floor with wood suspended beams, concrete pad, etc....  can you give some detail. 

stringreen
...... and I can do back flips, and never get feedback from the turntable.

how 'bout posting a youtube showing this ?

lewm - "not likely" means to me; other reasons are more likely and need to be explored.

Until we have more info on his floor structure - its all guessing

Audiophile Dance.

keep your turntable motor off.

mute system at low volume. put on a record and lower the stylus on to the still record’s groove.

unmute and start raising the volume level until it is at the high level for your listening habits.

Start to Dance. any dance. jump up and down. Arm waving is optional. Do you hear anything through the speakers ?

Dance around the table to determine if there is bad loading point. If all is quiet ..... that spot is ok.

oh...before finishing..... try yelling at your cartridge (Baritone and Soprano voices) loud to determine if anything comes out of the speakers.

My main listening room is on the second floor, carpeted on a suspended subfloor

Is the 1st floor,  the main house floor also suspended ?  Do both floors use horizontal wood beams? 
I have been to older audio friends homes where their children have left. (yeah right - will believe it when it happens to me) ......anyway.

So the couple, find themselves with an empty bedroom/s upstairs; Usually (She) doesn’t want the stereo on the main floor. So usually (He) is forced to use one of the bedrooms upstairs. All wood suspended floors have the capability to produce what I call the 6 O’Clock train effect as bass and volume increases. And the higher you go 1-2-3 suspended floors, the worse the effect can get.

All it takes is one of the full range speakers and or sub to be placed above one of the same horizontal beams, as the one the turntable stand sits on. They become joined at the hip - so to speak. As the volume increases, its like that 6 O clock train going by. A suspended floor is never an ideal spot for a resolving turntable. If the problem is bad enough and keeping you from enjoying your system at those levels that get the .....endorphins flowing..... then...

locate the nearest main side wall that supports the house. Not that flimsy wood studded wall between rooms. Attach a shelf/ves to one of the main support walls. Another option - a little more extreme.... is to hang the shelf from the ceiling. 8^0

then there is the other fellow, same suspended floors, that puts all the gear in one room except the speakers. The speakers go in the room next door.
But guess what - they are still sharing the same horizontal wood beam - so - still joined at the hip ...... guess what happens....

thats right ..choooo. choooo !! some Sat morning funny