Feedback on McIntosh Mc-402 amplifier

I have a pair of Aerials model 9's spaekers, Krell KRC-3 pre-amp, Adcom 5800 amplifier, Krell 300cd cd player, Rega planner 25 turntable with an Ear tube phono pre-ampa and MIT 750 speaker cables with matching interconnects. I'm looking to upgrade my amplifier (I bought the Adcom to use as a temp. amplifer) I have read the the Mac.has the control and bass of a high current ss amplifer but also the magic of tubes in the vocals. A high current ss that sounds like a tube amplifier is this true? I have owned a Audio Research vt100 mk 11 (an excellent amplifer) which had a great resolution and detail but the sound was a hair to the side of analyical. (no tube warth or "tube magic")
How is the Mac with resolution and detail? I quess I'm looking for an amplifer with a Krell like bass but with Conrad Johnson vocals and Audio Research resolution. Now I relize that this is probably impossible but how close does the McIntosh mc402 come to this?
mmurphy

Showing 1 response by aball

I also agree that the MC402 manages to pull off tube sound with accuracy and resolution of SS. I personally find it incredible but I can't afford it yet. Indeed, McIntosh dealers are generally good at lending equipment out so give one a try! Arthur