Favorite Symphonies Quiz

Pick your favorite composer for each symphony. You can’t use a composer more than once.

Here are my answers (at least today’s answers):
Symphony No. 1: Copland
Symphony No. 2: Hanson
Symphony No. 3: Saint-Saëns
Symphony No. 4: Bruckner
Symphony No. 5: Shostakovich
Symphony No. 6: Tchaikovsky
Symphony No. 7: Sibelius
Symphony No. 8: Mahler
Symphony No. 9: Beethoven

What are your picks? I’m looking forward to learning something.
128x128phomchick
I think the composer's time in history and life circumstances are significant.  I love Haydn, his works are playful and fun (and less prissy than Mozart) but not about emotion any more than Baroque works are.  

Tchaikovsky (like Mahler) certainly has emotional content which I guess is why they are popular.  Other characteristics speak more to others (including me) and Beethoven, Bruckner, Sibelius and Hovaness have other strengths.

Very hard to compose a list given this limitation.  Had to repeat. Leaves a good many great symphonies out. Not really fair.

1.Brahms
2. Rachmaninoff 
3. Beethoven
4. Schumann
5. Prokofiev 
6. Tchaikovsky 
7. Beethoven
8. Shostakovich 
9. Mahler
“Very hard to compose a list given this limitation.  Had to repeat. Leaves a good many great symphonies out. Not really fair.”

If you are unhappy about leaving composers out, why did you repeat?
Good, Hovhaness, anyone else?

Another way to think about Mahler is which ones could you possibly do without.  For me that would be 8, then 7, then 1.  And that would be it.

@mayoradamwest I can't do without the lovely last movement of the 4th.
My favorite is Felicity Lott with Franz Welzer-Most, which isn't particularly well known.
Phomchick,

I don’t quite understand your question.
Unless I’m wrong, you wanted to know who wrote the best 1st symphony, best second symphony, etc.