Fate? Karma? Purgatory? Help me put a good spin on this.

My wife and I are heading out to Clarksdale, Mississippi for the Juke Joint Festival which is primarily a blues festival for local delta and hill country blues acts. It is a ton of fun.

We are staying with some old friends in a nearby town. They have graciously invited us to a music series hosted by local country music singer and songwriter Steve Azar. The event occurs every couple of months and features a meal by a prominent local chef (featured in Southern Living, Garden and Gun, etc) as well as cocktails and a casual performance and interview with other songwriters and musicians. It is a small group and the guests interact with the guest musicians. The tickets are fairly pricey and our friends have insisted on buying our tickets.

Other than their love of country music our musical tastes are similar to our friend's. They are going with us to the blues festival. They are also into Dylan, The Band, Van Morrison, etc.

The guest musician/songwriter is named Anthony Smith. I'd never heard of him. Apparently he has written songs for some big names in the country music world as has the host, Steve Azar.

Now, I don't hate country music per se. But I have a hard time with contemporary pop country. Here is a video of Anthony Smith's:

https://youtu.be/sbNVTh2QA7k

It is going to be a long night. Fortunately the music will be acoustic. Just the guest with his guitar. I suspect the food will be great and there will be plenty of booze. And I guess it will be interesting to get some insight into the singer/songwriter world even if it is pop country.

I just think it is funny that the one type of music I can hardly stand is what is being featured. I'd prefer hip-hop or rap to pop country ;-)
n80
Do not focus on music, focus on experience and I cannot see how that one could be bad. True, Clarksdale these days may not be Clarksdale of your youth, it is way more commercialized, but some festival there cannot be unpleasant.

Marginally related to this trip, you could invite your friends to be your guests at King Biscuit, It is usually in the fall, October I think. Helena is a historic marker on the USA music map for sure.

Or Memphis in May? You will not regret it. Guaranteed.

EDIT: I just watched the video you linked to. That kind of music usually feels much better live in some small venue. It may not be your preferred thing, but it should be way better than on youtube. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you, just in case.
Well, I gave it a fair go, honest. I got into 56 seconds of the video.
I hope they got a good bar.
I listened to 30, maybe 45 seconds. 

Sorry man.
Maybe he's got a killer rhythm section with him and you could focus on bass lines all night.
Ahh, Clarksdale, MS. an area I used to "pass through" on occasion.
Beale to the north, Tupelo to the east, Helena across the river and Turkey Scratch, AR not much further (yes, the great Levon Helm’s stomping grounds). Also the original Viking Ranges were built not too far from there (so?).

As with most Redneck/Blues/Country Festivals my best advice is not to take anything too seriously. As others have said, enjoy the cooking, booze, humidity and local talent. If it rains, get wet and let it roll off.

I went to a much smaller event years ago in Arkansas City when it poured (like it was 1927....) and a guy from Eureka Springs, AR named Lucius broke into a version of "Rainy Night in Georgia" that was as good as it gets.