fabulous Technics EPC-100 series re-tip

I'm pretty sure many of you guys own fabulous Technics MM EPC-100 (MM) in your rasenal, especially their top models like (P or C versions) MK3 and MK4.

The question is how to upgrade this cartridges with a new tip, cantilever, suspension:

-How can do the job properly and how much is it, how is the sound after upgrade compared to the original?

-How good is the motor of this cartridge?

-It's worth to invest more in new boron cantilever, new tip etc?

-No one can provide pressure fitted tip to the boron cantilever?

P.S. I know Axel can do the job, not sure if he can change the suspension, Soundsmith will not do that. VdH is not available in my area. Who else can treat that Technics MM right ?

Anyone on here did the same to their Technics EPC-100 mk3 or mk4 ?
128x128chakster

Showing 16 responses by chakster

I like this one from Andy's (Needle Clinic Website): http://www.phonocartridgeretipping.com/images/needle-big.jpg

everyone must have this machine, haha
Do doubt, Peter
I really like this old school design, never seen anything like that before. I respect the work of retippers, guess we need more documentaries about them and their work.
Dover, what do you think about new people who run garrott company now and the quality of their work ?
Anyone?
No, Fleib
In the same thread i've mentioned my small bunch of technics cartridges: few samples of 205cmk3, at least 4 samples of 205cmk4 and one 100cmk3 later. All in good shape, but i realized the difference due suspension condition. One of the 205cmk4 was simply amazing like new, but i sold all of them, cos my one and only 100cmk3 was better (especially in bass register, also better soundstage). I still have this cartridge and it's still beat all other MMs i have tried.

But this month i realized it's retipped 100cmk3, probably too late! The plastic boby of 100ED3 stylus is the original, cantilever is original boron, but the tip is glued (not laser etched) and on the bottom the cantilever is telescopic (not like the original). Thanks to one of the fellow technics collector from audiogon who emailed me some nice high resolution images of technics original tip/cantilever made under his microscope.

When i bought this cartridge many years ago i have noticed a problem with suspension and decided to sent it back to seller to fix it. It was foxtan btw. It took a long time, but his vendor have fixed the damper/suspension and i received perfectly working cartridge, sound was just great (better then the original top condition 205cmk4). I have been using this cartridge from time to time and later decided to sell it, but i never noticed the glued tip, i thought it was just a damper problem fixed. I also thought that mk3 version might be different from mk2 or mk4, but now i know they are all looks the same (thanks to the fellow collector who provided me images of different samles).

Seller never mentioned anything about re-tip, he told me the vendor just fixed suspension, he also told me he paid a lot for his work. I've bought many cartridges and not only cartridges from foxtan, never had any issues. But still i feel not so good about this particular 100cmk3.

At the same time Raul and other always fixed their technics with VdH or other retippers. The original tip is just an elliptical, but today we can use a better profile. And finally this sample of 100cmk3 sounds great and works perfect. The only problem i don't know which tip i have now, who does the job and maybe someone can do it better. Also to sell the cartridge i have to know everything about it to be honest with buyer.

I think VdH is the most expensive option and impossible to contact directly. SoundSmith service can take too much time. Still waiting for Axel's reply, almost one week with no luck.

Some other options:

Dominic @ http://www.northwestanalogue.com/cartridge-repairs.html

Expert Stylus:
http://www.78tours.com/Expert_Stylus_Company.htm

Yet another re-tipper i have never heard before:
Torlai Roberto in Italy: http://www.torlai.it/
any thoughts?
Glad you have finally posted this horrible story, John. More people should know about this case and think twice before sending stuff to Andy at Needle Clinic! 
I have shipped two cartridges to Axel few month ago. One of them was my old Technics 100c mk3 (just for inspection) that i've bought from foxtan (full story about this cartridge described above). 

It's funny but after inspection Axel told me it was his own job that he has done few years ago with this cartridge for seller! The bad thing is that i've bought it from the seller as "original" (Foxtan didn't mentioned re-tipping and re-cantilevering work, he also told me it was not serviced by Axel in Germany when i asked him). I've learned alot since that days.

Strange story, but Imagine my feeling when Axel told me it was him who serviced this cartridge before. 

The good thing is that after inspection Axel told me the stylus is in perfect condition, same with suspension. The boron cantilever is made by Nagaoka and the tip is elliptical (suspension repaired). 

I've noticed long time ago how good is this cartridge (Compared to others included 4 samples of original 204cmk4). I can vote for Axel's service! 
@nandric you’re right, it’s an old thread and i already sold my re-tipped and re-cantilevered (by Axel) Technics EPC-100Cmk3. This is the backside of the replacement stylus essembly with (i guess) removed tension wire.

And for example this is original tension wire on my Technics 205Cmk4.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CfTGi_YW8AAXcGB.jpg

I have posted these images before in another thread, but it’s better to leave it here.
You didn't tell us from the start about your bad experience in details. 

It would be nice if someone can report here about successful experience of suspension repair on original Technics 100 or 205 series of cartridges with SoundSmith, Van Den Hul, Dominic etc. 

Now i’m curios about sapphire or ruby NEO SAS for Technics 205C mk4. I want to hear it, but i don’t have 205c mk4 anymore, at least my friend has it, i’m looking forward to check when this Neo Sas will be available. I didn't liked ex generation of SAS on my 205 mk4, but new generation Neo Sas could be better and totally different. 

@nandric I’m not in contadiction with your point of view. This cartridge was rebuilded by Axel and you’re correct when you said the collar (alluminum tube) made from a different material compared to the original (which looks like a brass). To make sure how the original looks like anyone can visit this link to check the pictures and compare the original structure to axel’s materials used in rebuilded version. They are totally different, even the cantilever is longer on the original. But in fact rebuilded cartridge sounds amazing even in comparison with previously sold original "lowrider" (which is better). Anyway, this is a compliment to Axel’s work and seems like it’s better than Jico SAS replacement (which also comes with aluminum collar on the back and no tension wire) and Axel's version is closer to the original technics sound.

In fact even dead 205c MK4 can be rebuilded like this by Axel. He did that for foxtan many years ago.

I got on hands Technics 205C MK4 re-cantilevered and retipped by Axel. A friend of mine decided to sell one of his two samples, both were fine-tuned by Axel in the past. It’s a good news because i can show high quality pictures here to all a’goners who would like to khow how it looks after Axel’s treatment (and it sounds great of course) with Nagaoka Boron Cantilever (new damper/suspension) and Nude Elliptical diamond tip. BTW This precise operation cost 359 euro alone according to Axel's current pricelist. 

P.S. He also sell his NOS Jico SAS if anyone interested (i got it here).
I think turnarround time was about half year when Axel fixed my old EPC-100c mk3, he used slightly different method, because he doesn't change the original 100c mk3  housing (brass) to alluminum part like on those 205 mk4 (glued to original 205ED4 plastic holder).   

@nandric

BTW those SAS styli do have tension wire.
You’re right, my mistake. I took a picture of JICO SAS recently, before i sold it. This is the backside of the JICO’s replacement stylus assembly. Here is the structure of the jico sas from the manual. And this is a side the view of Jico SAS cantilever.

The original Technics looks way different than Jico. The side view of the original is completely different from jico.

But the Axel’s rebuilded Technics is another story. The backside of the replacement stylus assembly is way different from jico and from the original. The side view on cantilever is close to jico (same metal collar around the boron cantilever), probablly the same boron cantilever, but the diamond is bigger (higher). For some reason preffer Axel’s elliptical stylus compared to Jico SAS. Axel’s rebuilded version of replacement stylus it’s closer to the original sound of 205ED4 (mk4). The original i've recently sold, even with aged suspension, is much better than everything (jico sas or axel) !
@antslappy i assume you have tried all retippers in the world to say who's the best? If you chose Andy please read jpjones story above in this thread, maybe you will change your mind.