Extremely budget minded system for under $500.00 ?

I am helping a friend look for a system to start in. Any suggestions for a $500.00 limit budget? Speakers, receiver and cd player, or all in one unit. I know that for most of us the ultimate is something we srive for (and the cost sometimes exceeds our initial expectations) but this is a serious question and may I add, a challenging one. The $500.00 is maybe even pushing it. I would appreciate some help on this one. Thanks
proclaim123

Showing 4 responses by grannyring

Pabelson
"Hmmm, anybody want to ponder the logic of hooking up a $50 DVD player with a $40 cable?"

I think your just joking? A good sounding cable makes good sense always on any component that sounds good. A poor sounding cable makes no sense on a good sounding component.
Pretty simple. The fact that a DVD/CD player only costs $50 and sounds good as a wonderful treat! Now enjoy that treat as you should with a good cable. Put a poor cable on it and spoil the treat. If you can find a $5 IC that sounds as good as the Audio Art $39 IC, then buy it! You won't however.

Bill
Here is a great system that I don't think can be beat for the money. It is a serious sound system. All component prices are quoted new, only the B&W speakers are quoted as used found here on Agon.

Art Sla 1 amp - $165 (One input for CD player). Sound is 80% of any amp I have owned from JC1 monoblocks to Marsh Sound. Has volume knobs.
100 watts per channel. Clean and wondeful sound. You can read on this amp here on Agon threads.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ART-SLA-1-Studio-Power-Amp-260Watts-in-1-Rack-Space_W0QQitemZ7375095294QQcategoryZ23787QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Toshiba 3950, 3960 CD/DVD player. I got mine for $50 at Best Buy. Best CD sound for this price.

B&W 601 speakers any version (MK I,II, III), $150 - $300.
Mission makes great monitors for little money also - used on Agon.

Audio Art IC's $39 - $69 (one meter RCA) The IC 1 is $39 and the IC-3 is $69. I use the IC-3 in my big $$ system as they replaced $700 IC's from Tara Tabs. Need Radio Shack 1/4" to RCA adaptors to use on the connection from Toshiba to Sla 1 amp. The Sla takes 1/4" and XLR inputs only. The adaptors cost $4 and work great.

Use Audio Art or Signal speaker cable - $50

This system will sound amazing and as good as many systems costing up to $3000. Again, I have heard it and have owned and heard many other systems - this one sounds fantastic and will please.A pre can be added later if more inputs are wanted.

Bill
Be careful not to use Radio shack IC's and cable (or other very poor cables)) for you will greatly impact your sound for the worse. Good IC cables can be had for $39 - Audio Art IC-1. Good used speaker cable can be had for $40. Audio Art, Paul Speltz and others.

This will improve your sound more than spending $100 on a CD player vs $50. The Tosh players are fine for $50.

Wire is important and should not be just cast aside. For your $500 budget you can have both!

Others are right in that you should not spend $100 for an IC. Please don't ignore wire however. If you do you you may as well buy a used $30 JC Penny MCS series receiver - classic :-) That is the sound you will get!

Bill
Groovybassist really has a great idea here. I second it as a great package!

Bill