External DAC For Oppo 105 At What Cost?

Approximately how much would you have to spend on an external DAC to significantly better the sound of the internal Dac in the Oppo 105?
128x128mitch4t

Showing 8 responses by mitch4t

Marakanetz,

All of the digital sources I need and use are in the Oppo 105. I only play cd's and listen to Pandora & Rhapsody. It also has the capability to stream digital files from a hard drive if I should ever decide to do that one day.

Approximately how much would you have to spend on an external DAC to significantly better the sound of the internal Dac in the Oppo 105?
I'm aware of the Modwright mods. I'm more specifically interested as to how much I would have to spend to significantly better the dac in the Oppo 105.

Is anyone out there using an external DAC with the Oppo 105? If so, what are you using?
Jfz, you know it doesn't end there. If I got it modified by Modwright, I'd probably still want to know how much I'd have to spend to significantly better the DAC in the modded unit. As far as I know Modwright doesn't do any mods to the DAC.
Ricevs, your response changes everything. Very informative and helpful. Thank you for the info.

mitch
Kzhtoo & Knghifi, where do idiots like you come from that sit around and flame posters here on the 'Gon? Shouldn't you be somewhere pulling the wings off of insects or something?

Geez, if you don't like the post...keep moving.

Get a life.
Tubegroover, thanks for your response, I really appreciate it. I am currently using an Audio Research CD7 cd player. I love the sound of my player. However, I listen to Pandora and Rhapsody much more than I play cd's only because it is much more convenient. I can get about $4500 for it if I sold it.

I like the idea of the Oppo 105 because it would allow me to stream my ripped cd's from a hard drive. Streaming my ripped music would give me the convenience that I get from Rhapsody & Pandora with much greater resolution.

The whole point of my question is, I'd want the Oppo 105 with an improved DAC to at least equal the sound of my current cd player. How much would I have to spend on an improved DAC if I bought the Oppo 105 to equal or better the sound of my CD7? I currently don't have a serious DAC/hard drive system to stream my ripped cd's

The new Audio Research CD9 comes equipped with a DAC that accepts inputs, including USB. It costs $13k and I just don't have that kind of scratch.

From what I've read in the above posts, the Modwright Oppo 105 seems to be the ticket.

Thanks to all of you for your positive input, I really appreciate it.

mitch