External DAC?

Hey guys,

Here's my current setup:  Node 2i > Marantz PM KI Ruby > Dynaudio Special 40.

I am considering getting an external DAC and bypass the Node's DAC.   I have seen great reviews for the Topping D90 but the MQA only works via USB (node 2i doesn't have usb out).  Not that big of a concern because I can always use Qobuz HiRes instead and to be honest, I can't tell much of a difference on most tracks.

Anyway, is the Topping D90 a worthy upgrade to the node 2i?  Or should I spend more and go for the trusted Chord Qutest?  I will be stretching my budget with the Chord but I am to wait and save up if it is worth it.  Any other DACs in this price range?

Please advise! 
prashanth13485
Congrats on the good decision to keep the RME. Try headphones and IEMs with it too. Manufacturers charging more than RME's price are in trouble :-) I believe that with digital to audio conversion you can only do so much... Even if you were spend 1 million dollars, what can it do "even better"? The rest depends on the quality of the recording itself, speakers, headphones etc. WRT output levels consult the excellent https://forum.rme-audio.de/index.php

Setting is different between using RCA cables vs balanced. I am getting better results w/ balanced cables into MF M6si. I change volume both on the RME and the amp.
@daleberlin you’re right, I went through that section but couldn’t figure out which ref level and volume should I go with. Looks like it depends on the output Volts of the amplifier. Any idea what’s the output V of my PM Ki ruby amp? I couldn’t find anything on marantz manual either. 
@ghjuvvani I understand that balanced will mean +6dbu to the ref level selected. Any idea why you chose to use volume on both instead of locking one? Any sonic benefits? 
I typically just leave the volume on the integrated amp (which has balanced input; Marantz doesn’t seem to have it) at about 9. It can be controlled from a remote but very ergonomically, so it is simpler to adjust volume from the (great) remote that now comes with the RME ADI-2 DAC FS. I sometimes also adjust balance, a control that my MF M6si does not have. Volume is changed in the digital domain so it’s perfect. Withe the remote you can also dim the display which is a great feature. This DAC is great with my beyerdynamic headphones and IEMs!
I don’t remember my settings for balanced vs RCA but can find out that discussion
https://forum.rme-audio.de/search.php?search_id=657718769

I found it: "I just changed line out reference level to +1dB, as XLR out adds 6dB, to achieve the recommended +7dB"

So for balanced, I use +1 dB out ref level (higher levels were leading to distortions). I don't use line out any more but the ref level was higher. It is important to get this right!
If you lock or set the volume to fixed on the RME can you still use the EQ features? IMO that is one of the best features of this unit.