Explain Class D amps to "non audiophile friends"

Hey folks, I was really enjoying the thread explaining class A amps to class B and AB, wheni was wondering where Class D comes in. I would love to be a snob and say its for my friends, but I have to admit I am doing the learning here! (I am not implying that the other guy who posted was asking the question for his benefit)

Thanks for your help!
Jeff
jeffatus
Kijanki, in my haste to blow off some steam after a long day filled with last minute deadlines and draconian utility company notices, I neglected to remark about how your and Almarg's last posts really helped explain all of this for me. I won't make this mistake again.
Realremo, No harm done. I'm just overly sensitive today. Don't hesitate to ask if you want to go more into details. I'm not the best to explain but Al does it very well and he is forum Guru (in case you don't know it yet).
"Realremo, we are seriously trying to explain but I can see that making jokes is more important to you and Jeffatus (who finds it amusing). I won't make this mistake again."

Hold on a second, I find the posts extremely helpful, which is why I always make sure to thank everyone for their posts. You have to understand though, what may be easy for you guys to understand would take a layman a while to pick up. It seemed obvious to me that Realmro was poking fun at himself, which is exactly how I felt (about myself, that is). I mean, here I was trying hard to take all this in and the exploding brain post came up...I seriously couldnt stop laughing.

I wouldn't say I feel stupind asking these questions, but I certainly don't feel like the smartest guy on the web. Either way, you guys are way ahead of me and your help is greatly appreciated.
If I may venture a comment or two; This technology is prevalent in the automotive world. It is used to control the output of the fuel injectors and fuel pumps. I'm guessing that it also is used in the audio amps in many automobiles for the weight and energy savings it provides. I'm sure better quality computer speaker amps use Class D as well and they don't sound bad for what they are. All that being said, and I'm sure that I am not alone in saying this, I'm just not ready to accept Class D amplification as my final output stage in my HiFi. Maybe some of it is stubborness on my part, although I enjoy my CDs but I still like vinyl better. What I have seen in Class D designs is circuit board amps with lots of electrolytic capacitors. This goes against my conventional hifi wisdom of discrete components, isolation from power supplies and roll film capacitors/wire wound resistors in the music signal path. Am I wrong about that?
Tony,

If you are not accepting due to a pre-conception about what a good amplifier looks like, or even how it works, then I might venture to say you are on the wrong path.

IF you have heard a Class D amp and are not convinced, then I would say your conclusions at this time are justifiable based on your personal needs and preferences. If you hear several over time and still are not a fan, then you have done due diligence in making a valid determination.