Experiences buying used cartridges

Most of us who belong to this forum have at one time or another purchased a few used cartridges. I wanted to start this post to discuss our experiences.
Would you do it again? Was it a good experience with an honest seller or was it a nightmare?
analogluvr
Have bought four used carts, three were fine.  The forth one had a bent cantilever but the seller was great and made things right.  I would buy used again from a reputable seller. 
I would recommend to buy used cartridges from ebay to get buyers protection for those who’re not sure about the seller reputation. The price may be 15% higher than in the private agon listings, but at least there is no chance you will be ripped-off.

Why not ask the seller about suspension condition or to ask for additional pictures of everything if there is no clear statement in the listing? I would avoid the oldschool sellers who can’t even take a good pictures of the cartridge, cantilever, stylus tip.

But there is no reason to avoid used cartridges!

As Halcro said:

I’ve had many more disappointments with ’new’’ cartridges and it would take some serious word-of-mouth for me to outlay again for a ’new’ current model.

Exactly, that’s why buying vintage cartridges (NOS or Used) is great experience compared to overpriced new high-end models. Most of us buyin and selling cartridges, i do that just to try something different searching for "my sound". I hardly imagine someone trying to full people on ebay, bacause it’s a nightmare for the seller if the buyer is not happy about purchase. Pretty easy.
I've bought and sold a few.  I think a fair batting average is about 75%, but in the worse case scenario, I think if the motor is in good shape, Peter Ledermann (Soundsmith) can literally fix any cartridge and make it sound better than new.  I sent him a used Maestro which lost its diamond, and he sent me back the cartridge with a ruby cantilever and a shibata type stylus.  Best MM I've ever heard - much better than even the Maestro V2.

Used cartridges I've bought that were perfect - a Miyajima Shilabe and a Shelter 90X.  Used cartridges with problems - a Koetsu Black and the afore-mentioned Clearaudio.  You pays your coin and you takes your chances, but it usually works out in the end.