Experience with Townshend Seismic Podiums on Concrete Floor (they're great)

​I have tower speakers on a concrete floor covered with carpet. Recently, I tried out the Townshend Seismic Podium (size 1)  on my Ascend Acoustics Towers (RAAL tweeter) for about 4-5 hours. Here is a brief recounting of my experience.

At first, I set up the podiums and just listened to well known tracks; next, a few days later, I used that same set of tracks to compare, A & B, the speakers on the podium vs. without the podium (but at the same height). A friend with me also compared this A/B setup. We listened to a simple jazz arrangement, a Mozart aria, a rock recording by Chesky, and a country/rock piece. All were well recorded.

The difference made by the podiums are not subtle. In general, it is as if the entire sonic presentation was brought into focus, as if a light veil or layer of dust had been wiped away. It organizes everything; it makes the parts of the whole make sense.

More specifically, these were the effects I noticed: 

Bass was slightly fuller, much cleaner and more distinct; for an electric bass, this meant that rounded notes that previously blurred in a sequence (too legato) become individual notes. String bass notes gained dimensionality and texture; the finger on the string became more real, and the resonance of the large wooden bass got fuller and richer. Rhythm sections were better able to stand out *as* rhythm sections, that is, as musicians who are working together.

As far as midrange and treble go, there was -- as with the bass -- more definition, clarity, detail. They sound more like instruments-in-the-room rather than the presence of instrument appearances. Not much about their tonal character changed, but they became more palpable and more exactly located.

That brings me to the soundstage. The width of the soundstage grew by about 10-14% — 5-7% on each side. It was remarkable. Instruments gained space, separation, and definiteness of location. They didn't sound apart or isolated but just more distinct, separated from other instruments. I imagined this as fidelity to the way the microphone recorded them or as the mixing engineer intended. 

When I ordered the podiums, I made sure to ask for the ability to return them. I was assured that I could return them if I just paid shipping. (No restocking fee.) I was skeptical and wanted an escape clause. I had watched a few videos and was curious about whether Mr. Townshend's scientific claims would translate into audible differences that would be worth the money (the podiums cost about 1/3 of my speakers' cost). 

Well, my skepticism is gone — and it disappeared rather quickly at first, and then after careful comparison. I am keeping the Townshend podiums. Are they better than Isoacoustics footers or other products? I don't know, because I have not compared them. But they're making a huge difference and, should I want to put other speakers on them, they'll fit the others I have, easily. I'm pretty sure I'll never give these up.

128x128hilde45

@hilde45

By it I mean the actual impact seismic activity has on most peoples hifis. Also the write up tended to blur the lines between seismic events and other things. Probably done by a marketing guy and signed off on to increase the appeal of the product. The effect of seismic activity seems to be the focus of the marketing to differentiate the product from competition. So it comes down to the difference between robust science and marketing. It’s a business so marketing rules. Nothing unusual there.

One thing I forget to mention, in addition to Isoacoustics stands under my smaller speakers when needed on upper levels of my home, I also use Auralex Subdude platforms under my floor standing bottom ported Ohm Walsh speakers there. The difference is night and day on suspended plywood floors. Articulate bass that does not obscure detail in the midrange versus the exact opposite. Very cost effective! Would welcome opportunities to try other products like Townsend for that and see what happens.

Thanks mapman. So  Isoacoustics stands+ Auralex Subdude platform. What do those cost, together? Still a fraction of Townshend but these things add up.

I use the Townshend podiums on a second floor wood constructed floor with carpet.  I tried spikes, no spikes, spikes into a limestone slab and herbies gliders.  The Townshend was the only one that cleaned up the bass and added the benefits of a greater soundstage and better localization of instruments.  To me they are an essential component.

@brownsfan 

For those us that don't want to pay more for our speakers than we did for our house, we are forced to look for products like the Townsend for a poor man's solution, and the reality is that we are going to have to try some different types to see (hear) what works best in our particular setting.

Well said!

Loudspeaker decoupling is now more or less universally accepted.

Even in the usually more cynical hard nosed pro-audio world where isolation pads, the kind you see advertised on Amazon nowadays, are routinely employed underneath professional monitors.

All seemingly within the space of a few short years.