Experience with Townshend Seismic Podiums on Concrete Floor (they're great)

​I have tower speakers on a concrete floor covered with carpet. Recently, I tried out the Townshend Seismic Podium (size 1)  on my Ascend Acoustics Towers (RAAL tweeter) for about 4-5 hours. Here is a brief recounting of my experience.

At first, I set up the podiums and just listened to well known tracks; next, a few days later, I used that same set of tracks to compare, A & B, the speakers on the podium vs. without the podium (but at the same height). A friend with me also compared this A/B setup. We listened to a simple jazz arrangement, a Mozart aria, a rock recording by Chesky, and a country/rock piece. All were well recorded.

The difference made by the podiums are not subtle. In general, it is as if the entire sonic presentation was brought into focus, as if a light veil or layer of dust had been wiped away. It organizes everything; it makes the parts of the whole make sense.

More specifically, these were the effects I noticed: 

Bass was slightly fuller, much cleaner and more distinct; for an electric bass, this meant that rounded notes that previously blurred in a sequence (too legato) become individual notes. String bass notes gained dimensionality and texture; the finger on the string became more real, and the resonance of the large wooden bass got fuller and richer. Rhythm sections were better able to stand out *as* rhythm sections, that is, as musicians who are working together.

As far as midrange and treble go, there was -- as with the bass -- more definition, clarity, detail. They sound more like instruments-in-the-room rather than the presence of instrument appearances. Not much about their tonal character changed, but they became more palpable and more exactly located.

That brings me to the soundstage. The width of the soundstage grew by about 10-14% — 5-7% on each side. It was remarkable. Instruments gained space, separation, and definiteness of location. They didn't sound apart or isolated but just more distinct, separated from other instruments. I imagined this as fidelity to the way the microphone recorded them or as the mixing engineer intended. 

When I ordered the podiums, I made sure to ask for the ability to return them. I was assured that I could return them if I just paid shipping. (No restocking fee.) I was skeptical and wanted an escape clause. I had watched a few videos and was curious about whether Mr. Townshend's scientific claims would translate into audible differences that would be worth the money (the podiums cost about 1/3 of my speakers' cost). 

Well, my skepticism is gone — and it disappeared rather quickly at first, and then after careful comparison. I am keeping the Townshend podiums. Are they better than Isoacoustics footers or other products? I don't know, because I have not compared them. But they're making a huge difference and, should I want to put other speakers on them, they'll fit the others I have, easily. I'm pretty sure I'll never give these up.

128x128hilde45

I use them.  I have wood over concrete.

However, the springs pretty much insulate the speakers from the floor so it doesn't matter what the floor it, they are excellent.

I've posted this before but physics points to spring isolation as the right answer. 

Jerry

So you decided to go for it.Seems like you made a great choice and have no regrets. Excellent:-)

@jtcf Between the detailed and earnest comments here and the reviewers I found online who were not just cheerleaders, I thought they would be worth a serious trial. they did not disappoint. I suppose those with Isoacoustics or other solutions might make the argument that I could have done the same thing for about 1/3 the price, and I cannot rebut that without a trial. That said, I like the look of these podiums and I like their easy, 4-way adjustability and the fact they have a platform. 

@carlsbad It took me a while to see this point -- specifically, that the fact I had concrete floor did not obviate the usefulness of the podiums.

After doing a lot of reading and video watching myself I think solutions from other companies are going to look virtually the same on an accelerometer but sound different from the listening position.One thing everyone seems to be in agreement on is the Townshend's superior soundstaging.I like the wide plinth and ease of leveling.

Thanks for posting your impressions. I have a pair coming for my Fyne F703 speakers.

A friend with active ATC speakers (SCM50ASLT) went from Iso Acoustic Gaias to Townshend Podiums. He told me the improvement wasn't subtle. Two to three times the cost but he felt it was more than worth it.

We'll see. Glad to hear they worked out so well in the OP's system.