Experience with HFTs

There was a very extensive discussion about Schumann Generators (SGs) over the past week and in some thread I saw a mention of HFTs.

Unlike SGs, HFTs appear to interact with the music in a room similar but opposite of Acoustic Panels purpose. I can’t really put those panels or bass traps in because of my room layout and these appear to be small, and not require electricity, but I can’t understand why I would put them on a speaker- the speaker company should have taken its own acoustic properties into account. Also how would you put them on a wall?

Can your please relay your experience with them positive or negative and what you purchased and total investment? Synergistic Research appears to be a leader with these things. Always looking for ways to improve the sound without breaking the bank.
sokogear
I will say I was not impressed with  on my amp and phono stage, only my turntable.
MC - would you share some before and after measurements for us so we can see the effect of the HFTs?

or if you don’t have any measurement gear, perhaps share the manufacturer’s measurements?

They must have some. The devices are deliberately shaped, so there must be either some engineering theory they used to shape them, or some trial and error prototypes with measurements, which they used to settle on the final design for manufacturing. 
Maybe one of the hundreds of purchasers have done their own measurements and might share them?
sokogear-
So you guys don’t use acoustic panels or bass traps and use the HFTs instead of them?

Don't know about others but with me it's not either/or it's both. https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367This room is far from perfect, there's lots more to do yet it sounds fabulous and the imaging is to die for and HFTs definitely contribute to that.
What are ECT and PHT - are they alternatives to HFTs? It’s quite an alphabet soup.
ECT, HFT and PHT are the same technology tuned or optimized to different uses. ECT work best on electronic components. Although if you study my system you will see them used on my tone arm. PHT are tiny versions tuned for cartridges and look at the close up you can see a Green Dream and a Black Beauty both used on the Koetsu, with another Green Dream on the arm tube.  

These things each have their own character and used together are awesome. A couple guys who took my advice on that had the same experience. They are so small and light they barely even register on VTF.
I was skeptical about the Townshend pods but was blown away at the improvement in the sound. Is this along the same magnitude or more subtle?
Tough question. Hard enough to compare two amps or two speakers let alone two completely different things like HFT and Pods. Especially since they are both sensitive and subject to the details of how they are used. HFT for example, I can hear a difference in moving just one as little as 1". One HFT on the back of my speaker in one location made the sound worse, moved 2" higher and it made it a lot better!  

The difference with Pods is not as great, but even with Pods they are springs and so you might hear much better results with 3 vs 4 (or the other way around) and might well hear a different sort of improvement with different components. Under my turntable for example there was little change in dynamics or extension but there was a nice improvement in tone with much more accurate timbre. But under my amp there was a huge improvement in dynamics and extension, the midrange and top end came alive, it was like a whole new amp! 

All that said, and assuming you are a guy like me willing to do what it takes to get the most out of each thing, they are all pretty close. Pods and Podiums will by and large probably make a bigger improvement than an equal amount spent on the Synergistic stuff. But it would probably be close enough that it would come down to the room or personal preference.  

These things are all worth your hard earned dough. I take a long term approach and so what I did was once I figured out SR was worth it then I watched and waited for deals like buy HFT get a fuse. Buy 2 HFT get one PHT. highend-electronics.com does this, maybe it's all SR dealers, I don't know. This is a small niche the people in it tend to be dedicated audiophiles and when I find good ones I support them. So call Betty or Alfred, see what they can do for you.

Post removed